Good morning everybody :frow

I know not to heat my coop, but I thought it would hold some heat on its own. It doesnt seem to though. Is that an issue? At what point should I put vaseline on their combs and feet? Their run is perpetually wet and all this now melting snow isnt helping. I worry about frostbite. We are running out of hay and I dont know if i can get wood chips but will look into it. Any suggestions though? If “quit worrying” applies, feel free to let me know :lol:

Morning

UGH, DH's job is jerking him around. So he worked 12am-6am Monday-Wednesday. Yesterday just after he got to sleep, we get a call that they have a covid case and they need him to take an 8 hour shift for at least a week. We picked the 4pm-12am shift and he went back to work Wednesday evening, so he worked 14 hours of Wednesday. While he was working last night he heard from the student and a couple other sources that the student is intending to go home today and serve his quarantine there. So it is looking likely that DH is getting pulled back onto the overnight shift tonight. BUT that hasn't been confirmed yet. :barnie This is so not good for his health, never mind both our sanity. He is so short on sleep today. Neither of us slept well last night. DH didn't get to sleep until 2am and Thing 1 woke him at 6:15am. I got to sleep at 11:30. Thing 2 woke up at 1:45am and DH picked him up which threw him into a tizzy because he wanted me and that woke him more than just waiting in the crib while I used the bathroom would have. He didn't get back to sleep until 3am and I didn't get back to sleep until 3:30-4. I got up at 6:45am because I had to get to work early this morning. DH is trying to take a nap now since he is the shortest on sleep. We are preparing for him to be switching back to overnight (because that seems most likely at this point).

I know not to heat my coop, but I thought it would hold some heat on its own. It doesnt seem to though. Is that an issue? At what point should I put vaseline on their combs and feet? Their run is perpetually wet and all this now melting snow isnt helping. I worry about frostbite. We are running out of hay and I dont know if i can get wood chips but will look into it. Any suggestions though? If “quit worrying” applies, feel free to let me know :lol:

Good morning Fishy 🙂 have a great Thursday !

Quit worrying.

The goal should not be to have a warm coop but rather a dry well ventilated coop. Proper venting makes warm a not gonna happen thing.

For the run and muck a few short term solutions that help are laying down a pallet so they can get out of the wet. Not possible? Maybe set a scrap of plywood on blocks. The clocks can be cement, cinder, wood or even big rocks.
Need to get higher? Wooden sawhorses with a piece of wood screwed to the top to make a platform works in winter to make a dry spot and in summer for a shady patch.
Those are a couple quick fixes.

So frostbite worries....don't put stuff on combs or feet. It actually doesn't work and can make things worse.
The ventilation to get the wet out of the coop is your best course of action. A dry coop is critical to frostbite prevention.

Now to my questions.

What breeds of birds?
Pics of coop and run please. It will help with potential additional suggestions.
Is the wet from all that snow you all got?
How is the drainage in the run usually working?
Does water run TOWARD the run or away?

:frow Good morning Fishy, have a great day. Henny's got you covered...
Morning

UGH, DH's job is jerking him around. So he worked 12am-6am Monday-Wednesday. Yesterday just after he got to sleep, we get a call that they have a covid case and they need him to take an 8 hour shift for at least a week. We picked the 4pm-12am shift and he went back to work Wednesday evening, so he worked 14 hours of Wednesday. While he was working last night he heard from the student and a couple other sources that the student is intending to go home today and serve his quarantine there. So it is looking likely that DH is getting pulled back onto the overnight shift tonight. BUT that hasn't been confirmed yet. :barnie This is so not good for his health, never mind both our sanity. He is so short on sleep today. Neither of us slept well last night. DH didn't get to sleep until 2am and Thing 1 woke him at 6:15am. I got to sleep at 11:30. Thing 2 woke up at 1:45am and DH picked him up which threw him into a tizzy because he wanted me and that woke him more than just waiting in the crib while I used the bathroom would have. He didn't get back to sleep until 3am and I didn't get back to sleep until 3:30-4. I got up at 6:45am because I had to get to work early this morning. DH is trying to take a nap now since he is the shortest on sleep. We are preparing for him to be switching back to overnight (because that seems most likely at this point).
:frow Good morning Rae, have the best day possible. What's happening to your DH sucks but is truly the nature of the work. For both of you :hugs:hugs

Morning

Good morning Rae 🙂 have a great Thursday, :hugs :hugs

Quit worrying. can do :)

The goal should not be to have a warm coop but rather a dry well ventilated coop. Proper venting makes warm a not gonna happen thing.

For the run and muck a few short term solutions that help are laying down a pallet so they can get out of the wet. Not possible? Maybe set a scrap of plywood on blocks. The clocks can be cement, cinder, wood or even big rocks.
Need to get higher? Wooden sawhorses with a piece of wood screwed to the top to make a platform works in winter to make a dry spot and in summer for a shady patch.
Those are a couple quick fixes.
Got pallets, so I will be bringing those home.
So frostbite worries....don't put stuff on combs or feet. It actually doesn't work and can make things worse. So glad i asked! !
The ventilation to get the wet out of the coop is your best course of action. A dry coop is critical to frostbite prevention.
I was worried about it during the daytime. Didnt think about nighttime really. We still need to drill the vent holes, but cant put up an awning unless we take down part of the roof for a little but. I’ll probably just. Have to wing it to get it done , it just wont be pretty. They get a good bit of sun during the day and. The pallets will help with the wet ground then.
Now to my questions.

What breeds of birds? , australorp, buff orp, welsummer, sapphire splash (whatever that is :) )
Pics of coop and run please. It will help with potential additional suggestions.
Is the wet from all that snow you all got? tons of rain before the snow and now the melt.
How is the drainage in the run usually working? no clue, its been a very dry summer so we havent had this issue yet.
Does water run TOWARD the run or away? definitely toward due to the tulip trees roots.
See your quote :) Sheesh my tablet is really acting up. Lots of typos

See your quote :) Sheesh my tablet is really acting up. Lots of typos

A nice thing about chickens is they don't care about pretty. ;)

Night time venting is super important. That is when they are all inside adding moisture by pooping and all that breathing. I know it is tempting to close vents. Just don't close them....really....don't.

We woke to 17° here. I still have windows open as well as open soffits.

Your yard draining toward the run is problematic. Not impossible to deal with but problematic. Research french drains. You may need to add that come spring.

Rolling logs into the run or tree stumps gives them something additional to stand on. I can sometimes find ones for free at the yard waste recycle center. Problem with that is not knowing what chemical may be in or on them.

In this run is an old untreated chair I built like 17 years ago. The birds LOVE that thing. As evidenced by all the poo on it. :rolleyes:

IMG_20201124_140756.jpg

Whatever you add make CERTAIN they cannot tip it. This particular chair is quite heavy yet they managed to tip it over. It is now braced against the building.
Wouldn't want it falling on anyone.

The breeds you have should all be ok and at low risk for frostbite.
I have even kept leghorns here without frostbite even in temps well below zero.

Yes that window could use a good cleaning and rework.

A nice thing about chickens is they don't care about pretty. ;)

Night time venting is super important. That is when they are all inside adding moisture by pooping and all that breathing. I know it is tempting to close vents. Just don't close them....really....don't.

We woke to 17° here. I still have windows open as well as open soffits.

Your yard draining toward the run is problematic. Not impossible to deal with but problematic. Research french drains. You may need to add that come spring.

Rolling logs into the run or tree stumps gives them something additional to stand on. I can sometimes find ones for free at the yard waste recycle center. Problem with that is not knowing what chemical may be in or on them.

In this run is an old untreated chair I built like 17 years ago. The birds LOVE that thing. As evidenced by all the poo on it. :rolleyes:

View attachment 2435370

Whatever you add make CERTAIN they cannot tip it. This particular chair is quite heavy yet they managed to tip it over. It is now braced against the building.
Wouldn't want it falling on anyone.

The breeds you have should all be ok and at low risk for frostbite.
I have even kept leghorns here without frostbite even in temps well below zero.

Yes that window could use a good cleaning and rework.
I took a couple of quick pix at lunch. I stood in the same place, for reference. Hubs keeps closing the vent. Im about ready to take the cover off :he The vents arent in The pic but this is where i plan on putting extras, the other side as well. There is a vent by their roost and opposite the roost. I do have a large branch propped up in the run and we have a small board put of the muck.
80F3EFDA-8850-4900-8720-A051C103AD4F.jpeg
80F3EFDA-8850-4900-8720-A051C103AD4F.jpeg
2619B8A7-1AB4-480C-BB1B-F93A0136EEFF.jpeg
D2CD3728-BBD7-4CF2-81C5-73ADFF9019DE.jpeg
Willgrab pallets this week.

I took a couple of quick pix at lunch. I stood in the same place, for reference. Hubs keeps closing the vent. Im about ready to take the cover off :he The vents arent in The pic but this is where i plan on putting extras, the other side as well. There is a vent by their roost and opposite the roost. I do have a large branch propped up in the run and we have a small board put of the muck. View attachment 2435556View attachment 2435556View attachment 2435558View attachment 2435559Willgrab pallets this week.

That does help a ton!

It looks like the tall side faces south. If so that is a great place for windows/vents/holes. Let that sunshine in and less likely to let rain/snow in.

The sooner you add more venting the better.
If you want pics of my windows let me know.

Side note: Your chicken wire is not hooked to your 2x4 welded wire. A bird can get trapped between there. A few zip ties will fix that risk. I myself use J-clips so I don't have to replace zips but zips are cheap and easily available.

Back
Top Bottom