Opinions on Formex Snap-Lock Large Coop

DraftXJumper

Songster
6 Years
May 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I realize most of the replies I get will likely be about building my own coop and how I should have been ready sooner, but bear with me...
I purchased a few chicks from an online hatchery and had a nice brooder set-up in my garage, and they're doing fabulously (5 weeks old today!). I thought I did my research (hadn't run across BYC yet) and purchased a pre-fab coop online that was ready weeks ago. It is becoming clear, however, that it won't hold my five girls once they're all grown up. It may suit them for the summer months, as my husband is almost finished building a wonderful walk-in run for them. We are trying to decide if we should somehow modify this crappy pre-fab to make it bigger, or just buy the Formex Large Snap-Lock. Without going into too many details, my husband does not have time to build the girls a coop from scratch. I seem to find favorable reviews on the Snap-Lock, but I want to make sure it's great if I'm going to completely waste the money I spent on the crappy pre-fab. Any opinions would be welcome :)
PS - My girls go on daily "field trips" outdoors for hours at a time, they are not confined to the brooder. Either free-ranging under supervision, or in a large dog run when I can't be close by. They are happy as can be, for now.

Can you post a pic of the snap one you are talking about?

If chickens are confined in too small a space you will have problems.
Coops should be at least 4 sq feet per bird.

Correct...
This is just a "recommended number".
I personally think it's a good amount of space for the birds.

It would work for roosting only in a suitable climate. Probably not a good choice for Wisconsin. You would be better buying a storage shed for that money and converting it.

Crapola. My hubby will not be pleased with me for wasting money on that coop... What's frustrating too, is that I thought I had done my research. I spent weeks deciding on a coop. Wish I could have trusted the manufacturer to tell the truth on how many girls would fit :/

It's a shame the manufacturers don't tell the whole truth about what will actually fit in their coops. Sorry you are having to deal with this.
Could you possibly return the coop?

Back
Top Bottom