Overheated silkie chickie!!!

Featherheart

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2021
Hi everyone! I went to check on all the chickens like usual and found one of my black silkies on it's side panting, it seems to have trouble moving properly and just kinda lays on it's side, I immediately took the poor thing inside and gave it a quick cool bath. So far I've been just cuddling her in a towel and trying to see if she does any better. If you have any suggestions please let me know asap! I've been planning to use her as a show and breeding bird and I REALLY don't wanna lose her! Again if you have any advice please let me know asap! Thanks!

Was she on her back when you found her? Can she stand up on her own? If you see her poop, monitor it for blood
I found her on her side and she still can't stand on her own(she'll just fall on her side), she pooped just a minute ago and there was no blood at all.

I found her on her side and she still can't stand on her own(she'll just fall on her side), she pooped just a minute ago and there was no blood at all.
The not being able to stand up is not a good sign. I had a chick that survived an incubator malfunction (post hatching) that killed all the other chicks. He could not stand on his own, his head rolled around limp, and then he started pooping blood. I put him down after that, it was heartbreaking to see a little chick go through that. I belive his heart had stopped because of the high heat, and it caused severe brain\organ damage, as well as circulation problems, seeing as his joints\lower abdomen had turned blue

Watch your chick very closely for any of these symptoms, and if your chick can't stand\is not doing better, then you can assume they have suffered damage to his\her organs

The not being able to stand up is not a good sign. I had a chick that survived an incubator malfunction (post hatching) that killed all the other chicks. He could not stand on his own, his head rolled around limp, and then he started pooping blood. I put him down after that, it was heartbreaking to see a little chick go through that. I belive his heart had stopped because of the high heat, and it caused severe brain\organ damage, as well as circulation problems, seeing as his joints\lower abdomen had turned blue

Watch your chick very closely for any of these symptoms, and if your chick can't stand\is not doing better, then you can assume they have suffered damage to his\her organs
Ok, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom