Part-way through my chicken/poultry journey

SemiQ

Songster
Aug 20, 2018
Victoria, Australia
Hello, even though I've owned chickens for several years now I still want to upload and tell/record my story.Ill probably upload my other poultry and bird endeavour on here as well.
Alright so it all started in 2015 when my family and I got sick of looking at this tiny dog pen at the back of our house. It was horrible! There was overgrown grass, it was all rusty, and just falling apart. We wanted to try chickens again (We had tried raising chicks in the past, but it wasn't very successful:()and thought if it was refurbished, that we could keep a couple of laying hens. After a day it was done ( I unfortunately don't have any pictures before we built it).

We then went to a breeder and brought three POL pullets, an black Australorpe, (which was named Rachel) a white leghorn, (which we named Boo) and a light Sussex (we called Elisabeak). Unfortunately within the first weeks of being here, we found Elisabeak dead one morning. Rachel and Boo were all fine for a couple of years. Then one day Rachel look really larthargic and sick. She slept in a nest for days because it was too much energy to get up on the perch. Then one night it was super cold so we put a small towel over her. We found her dead the next day:(. So that left us with one hen, we felt sad for her because she was all alone so we went to get 2 more pullets. Came home with 3, a light Sussex called Také, a golden laced Wyandotte named Nanami, and another leghorn named Generic Chook or Generic for short.
Not long after Boo got sick and we tried everything to make her better but to no avail.

Then Nanami and Také took turns being broody, we ended up giving the wyandotte 10 Hy-line eggs to sit on. Things started to get busy as we found a kitten and 9 out of the eggs hatched. They were a mixture of brown and White. None died and once they started reaching sexual maturity we gave 2 pullets and 1 cockerel to one neighbor and the other cockerel to the other, (they both already had some hens).
We got to keep 3 pullets and 2 cockerels (one of which we need to get rid of).
So that bring us to the present day.
(I'll try to upload some pictures of Boo and Rachel, and when the chicks were younger as well.)
image.jpeg

~Orlando~
image.jpeg
~Generic~Nanami~Orlando~

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 13
Update:
Sorry I haven't updating or have been active lately.
Anyway, my flock is doing o.k all things considered. Some of my hens are missing head and back feathers though (mostly Také and Nanami).
Our cat, Peanut really does love this sink though.
image.jpeg

A maingy wombat also has been lurking here for awhile the poor guy! Two people have come knocking on our door about, but we've called the ranger and they haven't done anything about!:he We unfortunately don't have a gun or a licence for one. He's really bad. ( walks out at daytime). I just want him to die humanely.:(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom