Pet Ducks Dumped in Neighborhood Pond, Help?

Free range or backyard/pen?

• Total voters
I’m not sure if any of my answers are repeat answers, but they do look like pekins. I had two pekins (drake and hen), sadly my hen passed away this year. My pekins absolutely loved to have their pool anytime they could. There would be lots of “celebrating”. You could count on it every morning. So more than likely if you have witnessed it, then you probably have a male and female. My female LOVED to hide her eggs, that may be why they swept the fake egg under the straw. My pekins also LOVE treats. I have been accused of spoiling them, because I give them treats quite often. I’m sure these babies are so happy to have been taken in by you and your family! They will slowly get used to you and your set up and be some happy, lucky ducks!

You've got 2 pretty ducks. Now the trick will be to keep them safe. Sounds like you've got great supportive neighbors that actually want to help out with the care of them which is awesome too!

Your ark is great for the two of them and looks very secure and safe. I like how you overlapped the chicken wire. That was smart! Your little wood fence around the ark is really cute but I would get a fence around it that would keep dogs and who knows what else is around out and the ducks in. That will keep them safe and perhaps, since it's a small area, get a net for over the top so owls and hawks can't swoop down and grab them.

Get rid of the cedar shavings. They are supposed to be really bad for ducks. I use hay, mainly because it's free plus it's working just fine.

The fencing around the ark, its cute but a loose dog could make a snack out of them fast.

I might have missed this, it once they go inside, make sure you give treats. You want them to associate their ark with treats, safety and comfort.

Thanks for taking these duckies on. I know you didn't plan on becoming a duck owner, but I'm glad you took them on, they're lucky ducks!

The fencing around the ark, its cute but a loose dog could make a snack out of them fast.

I might have missed this, it once they go inside, make sure you give treats. You want them to associate their ark with treats, safety and comfort.

Thanks for taking these duckies on. I know you didn't plan on becoming a duck owner, but I'm glad you took them on, they're lucky ducks!
X2 never even got the fencing pics on here on my computer till now. That is cute fencing but never will protect them. Nice big run behind your home but close so it won't be an eyesore to the neighbors[can't please them all] and they will be safe from predators or escape.

Not an expert but my guess is the lighter bill one is only part Pekin . It will take effort, but you can let them out in the morning and give them feed and treats in the evening when they get back to their house. I would suggest keeping them penned but spoiled with treats for a few days before trying to herd them back and forth. In time they will associate the house with treats and get into a routine of coming back home in the evening . Patience is everything. When you are driving them back home, walk slow, be calm, and do not be in a hurry.

Thank you so much for reading and commenting, i really do appreciate it.

I never considered they could be hybrid breed, that is something to wonder about.

So far they have been penned up snice we got them back the second night of herding, its currently still winter here.
But in the summer, should we try letting them explore the pond?
Snice they were a bit order when they came into our lives will they train as easily as a duckling?

Oh yes those duckies get spoiled plenty with treats, we always give them treats in their house.

@Miss Lydia can you help?

It sounds like the 3rd was killed by a raccoon: They take the head, pluck the breast/thigh. and, usually, eat the breast, thigh, crop, and/or innards.

Yes it does sound like it, the only thing we found odd is that the head wasnt taken. It was found with the body.
And the body itself only had feathers missing, no bites or open wounds.
Just seem so strange, like whatever killed it did it for fun and not food.

Ducks are hard to sex by sight for most breeds. The easiest way to sex them is by their quack. Females are loud and males are raspy whisper quackers. The predator could be pretty much anything from dog to fox. Domestic ducks are heavy and can't fly well so fall prey to things fairly easy.
I would pin them up, at least at night.
Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

I uploaded some videos on YouTube of them quacking if that helps any.

Here is the link;
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgylx9Cv9AK9kzmLtbsfPfQ

Yeah, it just seems like the predator was so odd. Leaving the body and head like that in the middle of winter.

Right now they are currently locked up at night in their duck ark, and are only let out into their pin in the morning time.
Is this being overprotective or is this fine? I'm just worried about them getting enough exercise.

Back
Top Bottom