Pics

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Lots of people ask me about the things I know a lot about so I've decided ot make a thread where you can ask me questions about any of these things:
  • Broody hens
  • Hatching
  • Helping to hatch
  • Raising chicks
  • Saving weak chicks
  • Sexing silkies
  • Raising chickens (specifically bantams) in general
  • Any other advice
Please ask away! You can also post links to threads (your threads or someone else's) about any of those topics so I can find them and help out!

If you know about these stuff too, feel free to answer some as well. @Silkie Princess you know about broodies, and @LadiesAndJane you know about silkie sexing.

Hopefully we can end up with a large gathering of information so newbies can stop by and learn!

Last edited:
Sometimes eggs just quit for no apparent reason, it's not necessarily anyone's fault. Where the eggs are from and the incubator that you use are factors that can affect a hatch, for example, shipped eggs have lower hatch rates, and high quality incubators are more reliable than cheap ones.
What incubator do you have?
No mention of calibrated thermometers?
Incorrect temps are the number one reason embryos do not develop properly.

You can also use a dry toothbrush, and your finger tips to gently preen the dried gunk off.
That worked! She is getting stronger by the min. Staying up all night to ensure she eats every couple of hours. Thank you so much. I am forever grateful for this site to be able to communicate and ask questions. #ducklifesaver! Phil 4:13

Attachments

• 20220217_045324.jpg
    20220217_045324.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220217_045936.jpg
    20220217_045936.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220217_060305.jpg
    20220217_060305.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220217_225057.jpg
    20220217_225057.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220217_232052.jpg
    20220217_232052.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 6
I have a question. Why help a weak chick? Wouldn’t it be the weak link in the flock that could invite disaster later?
Well, this is sometimes true, but sometimes weak chicks just need some extra love and care but they can grow to be the top hen (like Blue) or a healthy rooster (like Peanut). Sometimes they 'fail to thrive' and die, but I find that you should always give them the best chance at life.

question: why do chicks die in the shell (in incubator)? I have had many early quitters and a few late quitters. is there anything wrong with incubator?
Sometimes eggs just quit for no apparent reason, it's not necessarily anyone's fault. Where the eggs are from and the incubator that you use are factors that can affect a hatch, for example, shipped eggs have lower hatch rates, and high quality incubators are more reliable than cheap ones.

italian covatutto. not as bad. I had better hatch in warm months. eggs did a short trip (45 minutes) by scooter. some eggs were mine.

Well, this is sometimes true, but sometimes weak chicks just need some extra love and care but they can grow to be the top hen (like Blue) or a healthy rooster (like Peanut). Sometimes they 'fail to thrive' and die, but I find that you should always give them the best chance at life.
I understand that. I was just curious about your point of view there. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom