Please help my chickens wing got wrapped around in a wire and I just found her, her wing is extremely swollen what do I do?

richarshul

Hatching
Jun 23, 2023
It's still warm, I've been massaging it to give back circulation. I've got the wire out unfortunately I'm not able to post any videos or pictures. The nearest vet that could help me is an hour away and I can't make the trip.

She's acting fine and has some mobility in the wing, as she pulled it towards her when she didn't like when i stretched her wing in an out. The skin there is pale blue and when she walks it hangs low to the side, either dislocated or simply heavy from the swelling and lack of blood.

Would a warm water bottle pushed against it help? A warm bath?

Any general advice please I'm so anxious and on a time clutch.

It's still warm, I've been massaging it to give back circulation. I've got the wire out unfortunately I'm not able to post any videos or pictures. The nearest vet that could help me is an hour away and I can't make the trip.

She's acting fine and has some mobility in the wing, as she pulled it towards her when she didn't like when i stretched her wing in an out. The skin there is pale blue and when she walks it hangs low to the side, either dislocated or simply heavy from the swelling and lack of blood.

Would a warm water bottle pushed against it help? A warm bath?

Any general advice please I'm so anxious and on a time clutch.

It sounds like you have already done the most important things:
you removed the wire
you made sure the wing is still warm and the hen is able to move it
you observed the hen's behavior, and she is acting mostly normal

At this point, you might just let her alone for a bit and see how she does. Sometimes the stress of trying to "fix it" can make things worse instead of better. So unless anyone has a better suggestion, maybe leave it for a few hours or overnight, and see how it is doing at that point.

It sounds like you have already done the most important things:
you removed the wire
you made sure the wing is still warm and the hen is able to move it
you observed the hen's behavior, and she is acting mostly normal

At this point, you might just let her alone for a bit and see how she does. Sometimes the stress of trying to "fix it" can make things worse instead of better. So unless anyone has a better suggestion, maybe leave it for a few hours or overnight, and see how it is doing at that point.
That's all I'm able to do I guess, thank you it's just stressful seeing no improvements from this morning

That's all I'm able to do I guess, thank you it's just stressful seeing no improvements from this morning

Oh, it's already been a few hours? I got the impression it had just happened. In that case, what I suggested has already been tried. It sounds like you need someone who knows more than me :)

I'm not sure how which experts may be on at this time, but I'll tag one who is likely to see this within the next day or so, and hopefully someone else will chime in sooner if they see this thread.

@Eggcessive do you have any suggestions?

Oh, it's already been a few hours? I got the impression it had just happened. In that case, what I suggested has already been tried. It sounds like you need someone who knows more than me :)

I'm not sure how which experts may be on at this time, but I'll tag one who is likely to see this within the next day or so, and hopefully someone else will chime in sooner if they see this thread.

@Eggcessive do you have any suggestions?
Thank you! It seems this post may have been deleted for being an accidental duplicate, I'm extremely new to this site. If they don't see the message could you possibly @ them on the non deleted post? Again sorry for any inconvenience I'm not sure how to work this thing

Thank you! It seems this post may have been deleted for being an accidental duplicate, I'm extremely new to this site. If they don't see the message could you possibly @ them on the non deleted post? Again sorry for any inconvenience I'm not sure how to work this thing

Yes, it can be difficult to figure out an unfamiliar site :)

You had started two threads, with identical titles and an identical first post.

So a mod deleted one (that had no responses), and left this one (that does have responses from me and you). This one should work fine, and be visible to everyone else as well, including the member I tagged.

Yes, it can be difficult to figure out an unfamiliar site :)

You had started two threads, with identical titles and an identical first post.

So a mod deleted one (that had no responses), and left this one (that does have responses from me and you). This one should work fine, and be visible to everyone else as well, including the member I tagged.
Okay perfect, thank you!!

I would tend to leave her alone for night, and let her sleep. It sounds like there is no wound, just the hanging pale wing. In morning offer some fluids and some wet chicken feed, a little dry, and some scrambled egg. Fluids are more important. Wings can be left hanging, or they can be gently placed in a normal position, and wrapped not too tight, to the body with vet wrap or gauze wrap. Make sure in the morning that there are no wounds in the skin where a bone may be exposed. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

I would tend to leave her alone for night, and let her sleep. It sounds like there is no wound, just the hanging pale wing. In morning offer some fluids and some wet chicken feed, a little dry, and some scrambled egg. Fluids are more important. Wings can be left hanging, or they can be gently placed in a normal position, and wrapped not too tight, to the body with vet wrap or gauze wrap. Make sure in the morning that there are no wounds in the skin where a bone may be exposed. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.
Will do, thank you so much for the detailed reply!

@NatJ thank you both shes doing much better and the swelling is almost all gone, the wing just seems to be dislocated since it still slightly hangs to the side but otherwise it's all good. Again thank you both

Back
Top Bottom