Please help my chickens wing got wrapped around in a wire and I just found her, her wing is extremely swollen what do I do?

richarshul

Hatching
Jun 23, 2023
It's still warm, I've been massaging it to give back circulation. I've got the wire out unfortunately I'm not able to post any videos or pictures. The nearest vet that could help me is an hour away and I can't make the trip.

She's acting fine and has some mobility in the wing, as she pulled it towards her when she didn't like when i stretched her wing in an out. The skin there is pale blue and when she walks it hangs low to the side, either dislocated or simply heavy from the swelling and lack of blood.

Would a warm water bottle pushed against it help? A warm bath?

Any general advice please I'm so anxious and on a time clutch.

Are there any wounds?

If it's just swollen and bruised with no cuts/abrasions, I'd monitor her, see that she's able to get to food/water. Brusing can take days to go down and she'll favor the wing for a while.

If there's bone sticking out or broken skin, then you'll want to clean the areas well with an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

These are just general care suggestions. Photos are always helpful and if posted, care suggestions may change.

Back
Top Bottom