Are you positive that they didn't get too hot for too long sometime recently?
Could the light have been too low for a while?
I have to agree with you Kiki, the pic of them laying in the brooder is a classic pose of heat stress or heat exhaustion! And if that's the case, they will be unable to stand, eat, drink etc...
remove to a cooler place and syringe feed Nutri-Drench, I've done this many times with some of my pheasants that layed under the lamp until they got heat exhaustion.

The pic of the dropping looks 'normal'. I don't think it's Coccidiosis! The other pic of them laying about the brooder, appears they are 'heat stressed'.

It's definitely not UE, ulcerative enteritis.
The only other thing that might possibly be the cause is Aspergillosis...of which there is no cure/medication. Only strict biosecurity measures and good sanitation will help prevent Aspergillosis. They can inhale dust, molds from the shavings that are contaminated with spores.

I also, don't think its quail bronchitis, if they had that, they would be having respiratory distress, coughing, sneezing, raling and watery droppings.

Sorry, not much help but those are the 3 most common ailments that can inflict quail in domestic environments.
Thank you for the information. I'll just keep hand feeding them and hope that they improve for now. I'll be more concerned if the rest of the flock start showing symptoms. The four that are unwell are the smallest of the flock, I wonder if they are more susceptible because of this. Maybe I should get rid of the wood shavings as a possible source of contamination? I bought a huge bag from a pet supply store which I have been using.

Are you positive that they didn't get too hot for too long sometime recently?
Could the light have been too low for a while?
I really don't think so. They aren't panting or gasping or drinking water. There's plenty of opportunity to move away from the heat if needed. They'd been keeping the same sort of distance at the rest of the flock.

I have to agree with you Kiki, the pic of them laying in the brooder is a classic pose of heat stress or heat exhaustion! And if that's the case, they will be unable to stand, eat, drink etc...
remove to a cooler place and syringe feed Nutri-Drench, I've done this many times with some of my pheasants that layed under the lamp until they got heat exhaustion.
Ok, I'll give that a try

I really don't think so. They aren't panting or gasping or drinking water. There's plenty of opportunity to move away from the heat if needed. They'd been keeping the same sort of distance at the rest of the flock.
Some chicks are just like people...more susceptible to heat stress than others.

It is just a guess into the blue, but sometimes chicks are eating the very small shavings, which have no nutritions.
So they would starving with full stomach.

Have they been on shavings since the first day?

I can't find nutri-drench, maybe there is an equivalent product in Australia I can find.

It is just a guess into the blue, but sometimes chicks are eating the very small shavings, which have no nutritions.
So they would starving with full stomach.

Have they been on shavings since the first day?
Yes, they have been since the start. I haven't noticed them eating the shavings though. I'll look out for that. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom