Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
I'm almost finished with my coop but I need help designing the roost. I keep getting different opinions but not really the info that I need. My question is which roost bar is healthier for my chickens. I read an article that said rounded perches aren't good for hens as they can lead to keel bone deformeties etc... and also foot problems. In other words is a 2x4 with the 4inch up the best option for preventing health problems such as those listed above or what? I want mine to live a very long and happy life. Please help. Thanks and GOD bless you.

In over 20 years I've always used 2x3s with the 2 inch side up with no ill effects. 2x4s would do the same, 2x3s are just cheaper.

I gave up listening to other peoples opinions of whats best on that kinda thing and let the chickens tell me what they wanted, lots less aggravation, right now they use a ladder for a bunk bed, they roost on just about anything they choose, but they change their minds so often it isn't funny, them little raptors are normally happier the less we interfere other than checking on em collecting eggs and putting feed and water for em. They did fine on their own before people domesticated them

They currently have ladder, a shower rod, a tree stump plus what ever is around the yard

Even at 0°F I've watched my hens just take a foot and make it disappear in the fuzz while standing on the other foot. I think all the worry about frostbite must be for some breed that doesn't have any fuzz underneath. When mine sit down on the narrow side of the 2x3 their feet disappear long before they are fully settled down. Even when they roosted on a 1x3 their feet disappeared when they sat down. Nothing like having your feet in a down blanket while breathing nice cool dry air...

JT

Back
Top Bottom