Post-rescue decline

schnauzerpup

Chirping
7 Years
May 5, 2016
Our Easter Egger has had quite the few days.

Three days ago, we thought she was taken by a hawk (she didn’t return to the coop and we couldn’t find her when we searched our property). Yesterday, we discovered her - she had wedged herself under our coop. We got her out, and she seemed fine, eating drinking and jumping up to roost.

Lunchtime today, she is on the coop floor, breathing but not really moving much. She is lying about, droopy tail, legs splayed, not eating or drinking or walking or roosting. Her crop does feel big - I can feel tiny pebblish things.

Any ideas?

Our Easter Egger has had quite the few days.

Three days ago, we thought she was taken by a hawk (she didn’t return to the coop and we couldn’t find her when we searched our property). Yesterday, we discovered her - she had wedged herself under our coop. We got her out, and she seemed fine, eating drinking and jumping up to roost.

Lunchtime today, she is on the coop floor, breathing but not really moving much. She is lying about, droopy tail, legs splayed, not eating or drinking or walking or roosting. Her crop does feel big - I can feel tiny pebblish things.

Any ideas?
How is she?

Have you checked her for any wounds hidden under her feathers?

I agree, I'd check for egg binding.
Her crop feels big, re-check that to see if it's going down.
She may actually now be in shock since she's safe, so work on hydration first. Electrolytes or a little sugar water. Once she's hydrated offer a little wet food.

Is she pooping at all?

How is she?

Have you checked her for any wounds hidden under her feathers?

I agree, I'd check for egg binding.
Her crop feels big, re-check that to see if it's going down.
She may actually now be in shock since she's safe, so work on hydration first. Electrolytes or a little sugar water. Once she's hydrated offer a little wet food.

Is she pooping at all?
Thanks for checking in. Unfortunately whatever she was battling was too much for her and I found her dead last night. Maybe shock? I saw no wounds. But I really appreciate your help an ideas through this!

Back
Top Bottom