Pics
I got mine from amazon and keep them in a vacuum sealed jar. Looking to see what I paid for mine. Mine are now 12.6 cents each. They were around a dime when I bought them in 2016.
Make sure they're food safe.
Onions are about done drying, approaching hour 10.
The spring onions were done about hour 5.
All are in their tubs with a packet for three days of conditioning before sealing.
What's the "conditioning" period for?

Oh. Sorry.
It's three days of the item dried in a closed container that you watch for moisture condensation. You shake it once a day to change up the distribution of the product, this allows any small amounts of moisture in any one piece to be shared with drier pieces. If at any time you see fogging, or moisture in the container, back to the dryer it goes. I always toss a silica pack in with conditioning too.
After the three day conditioning you can vacuum seal, or jar and seal, or whatever.

Oh. Sorry.
It's three days of the item dried in a closed container that you watch for moisture condensation. You shake it once a day to change up the distribution of the product, this allows any small amounts of moisture in any one piece to be shared with drier pieces. If at any time you see fogging, or moisture in the container, back to the dryer it goes. I always toss a silica pack in with conditioning too.
After the three day conditioning you can vacuum seal, or jar and seal, or whatever.
Very helpful and makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Can somebody experienced with using silica packets help me please? There are multiple sizes available: 0.5, 3, and 5 grams (click here for Amazon listing I'm looking at). Which one is most appropriate for roughly gallon sized vacuum sealed bags/pouches of dried fruit and vegetables?

Additionally, are oxygen absorbers something I should consider as well since they were mentioned?

I'm not sure if the food product in the bag impacts the decision. To be specific, I'm currently planning on pickle chips especially but might also try some kale and brussel sprout greens chips. and possibly dehydrate some potatoes too.

Sorry I was out painting a door.
I buy the 3 gram packs which are good for about 1 qt. You can always add more to a package, but if you have a small package, you can't trim a packet.
You can use oxygen absorb packs OR silica packs, don't use both in the same pack. The silica makes the oxi packs not work right.
To keep crisp, crisp, use silica at 3-5grams per qt.

Back
Top Bottom