Pics
Finally got a batch of the habaneros in the dehydrator. They'll run until tonight and then another batch over night. The dehydrator is outside with the vents pointed away from our doorway towards the sudeyard. I'm hoping I don't pepper gas our patio or backyard.

There's approx. 100 peppers in there right now. I would have 180 or so but I had to remove every other tray to fit the habaneros even though I cut them in half. Some of them are over two inches long! That's big for habaneros.

I have any 300-400 more in the bucket still I estimate.

20210916_112156.jpg
20210916_112144.jpg

With 100 habaneros in the dehydrator, I just destemmed and halved another 100 habaneros for tonight's batch. There's still 1/2 a bucket of habaneros!!! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all these... How much pepper flake and powder do I really need? DS does not do spicy at all, so I cannot cook with the hot peppers much unless his food is prepared separately. I haven't pulled the trigger on making hot sauce yet, but it might happen...

Last edited:
Those dried peppers will make nice gift - maybe Christmas gifts for family, or a host gift if going to a friends for supper. Make a label with a heat warning, seal peppers in a plastic bag, then tuck into a gift bag.
I love to gift my creations to family - they accept them with a smile. Not sure if they really appreciate them or not, but I sure do like to gift it.

Those dried peppers will make nice gift - maybe Christmas gifts for family, or a host gift if going to a friends for supper. Make a label with a heat warning, seal peppers in a plastic bag, then tuck into a gift bag.
I love to gift my creations to family - they accept them with a smile. Not sure if they really appreciate them or not, but I sure do like to gift it.
Nice idea! Perhaps I'll bring homemade hot pepper flakes any time we go to a friend or relatives house for pizza. If they don't like the gift, I'll just regift them to my chickens and ducks, who will enjoy them very much.

I made 17 half pints, 2 pints, and 2 3/4pints of salsa. Uber hot, the way DH likes it. It's all for him.

I bought the tomatoes, but the habaneros, jalapenos, onions, and garlic are from my garden. The peppers made my throat pucker as it cooked down.

I'll can the rest of the tomatoes tomorrow, then put the canner away until it's applesauce time.

Lesson learned... The humidity at night and in the early morning gets up to 95% right now. Dehydrator running outside is useless. It's going to take a few more days to dehydrate the peppers since I can only run the dehydrator during the day, but we'll get it done. I am STILL dehydrating the first batch because they just were not dehydrating properly thanks to the high humidity yesterday evening and throughout the night. The dehydrator is running now and the humidity is currently at 80% and expected to drop down steadily to 52% - still higher than I want but hoping this batch gets done today. We'll just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom