Pics
I never get notices for this thread! I'm waaaay behind.

How/where do you store your jars of canned goods? Show my your shelves of jars, cabinet full of jars, or any other way you store all your jars of preserved food. I need inspiration to build something to better store the 100+ jars we have: mostly quarts, but pints and half pints too.

I love @WthrLady cabinet, I had looked at those plans a year or so ago. I don't have any place to put it tho, I don't have a basement - I have a tiny house on a slab. The only place it could go was the living room (as redic as that is!) so I bought this. It's not big enough or super sturdy so half my jars go in the pantry under the stairs but it helps quite a bit.

IMG_20211019_130108361.jpg

Second batch of green tomato salsa is cooking. It's the middle of the night, but I need to get these tomatoes processed before Saturday because we are having a party for the kids' birthdays and there's 40 more pounds of tomatoes sitting on my dining table. Btw, @muddy75 thanks for the green tomato ketchup recipe. I'll be making a batch of that.

I needed more lids to can all this. I had no problem getting lids last year or earlier this year, but now they're gone. I like at 3 stores and found them finally at Menards; however, the price doubled. I used to pay $2.50-$3.00 for 12 large mouth lids and today I had to pay $4.99. Over $0.40 each is just rediculous - I used to hate paying $0.20-$0.25 power lid even but this price now is just insanity.

I found lids online at Walmart at the normal $2.98 priced. I know you needed some now but maybe order some for next season.

I still have tomatoes and strawberries some, 1st potential freeze may be this Friday but then back in the 50s so I am just going to cover as I still have 12 green tomatoes out there.

Second batch of green tomato salsa is cooking. It's the middle of the night, but I need to get these tomatoes processed before Saturday because we are having a party for the kids' birthdays and there's 40 more pounds of tomatoes sitting on my dining table. Btw, @muddy75 thanks for the green tomato ketchup recipe. I'll be making a batch of that.

I needed more lids to can all this. I had no problem getting lids last year or earlier this year, but now they're gone. I like at 3 stores and found them finally at Menards; however, the price doubled. I used to pay $2.50-$3.00 for 12 large mouth lids and today I had to pay $4.99. Over $0.40 each is just rediculous - I used to hate paying $0.20-$0.25 power lid even but this price now is just insanity.
I found rings with lids at Target yesterday for 3.99 for 10 or 12, don't remember. I left them as dang it, I don't need more RINGS! Considering going back. Maybe. No idea. Maybe next trip to town.
The amish market has large sleeves of them again, but they aren't branded and there are some companies putting out items of questionable quality. Kerr this year has been terrible. A failed lid for cheap does me no good if the product goes bad.

I found rings with lids at Target yesterday for 3.99 for 10 or 12, don't remember. I left them as dang it, I don't need more RINGS! Considering going back. Maybe. No idea. Maybe next trip to town.
The amish market has large sleeves of them again, but they aren't branded and there are some companies putting out items of questionable quality. Kerr this year has been terrible. A failed lid for cheap does me no good if the product goes bad.
I just don't understand how brava like Ball, Kerr, etc. charge so much for lids. It's just a piece of pressed metal with a costing and a gasket ring. They have to be very inexpensive to make. And the reusable lids are made cheaply too with a plastic lid and rubber gasket with a few clips to hold it all on the jar for processing but cost a fortune. Canning is great, but the added cost of $0.20-$0.40 per jar for a lid sure adds up. I know we have over 100 jars put up this year, which means I have $20-$40 just in lids already used and then this last 4 packs (48 lids) just cost me $20. Let's just call it $50 in lids this year... Rediculous IMO.

Back
Top Bottom