Pics
Hi everyone I am new to this thread and am excited to learn from all of you and share ideas.

I have an induction stove that won’t allow me to use an aluminum pressure canner. Has anyone used an instant pot to pressure can? It appears that quart jars fit but don’t know if it would work. Thanks!
Welcome! & I ditto what @WthrLady said - it's a no go. I did some research on it a while ago & there is 1 brand I found that says it's safe to can in. But I was leery.

@BReeder! - OMG what a bummer! I'm sorry you spent all that time & all those good bones to have to throw it out. ☹️ :hugs

My broth is about done. I will strain it & put it in the fridge overnight to get the fat off before I package it up. I have to remove a shelf from the fridge to do so because the pot is so big, lol. But I'm thinking I can make a 2nd batch with the bones - problem being I don't have anywhere to store that much broth. :idunno :gig Again, wishing for a pressure canner right about now! Hmmm, amazon here I come!?

I have an induction stove that won’t allow me to use an aluminum pressure canner. Has anyone used an instant pot to pressure can? It appears that quart jars fit but don’t know if it would work. Thanks!
There are electric pressure canners available. My neighbor has one. They aren't cheap, though, I bet.

Why can't you use an aluminum pressure canner on your stove? I know I'll have to replace my stove eventually; it's 42 years old. I already know I do not want a glass top, so maybe I need to cross induction stove off the "possible" list too?

Welcome! & I ditto what @WthrLady said - it's a no go. I did some research on it a while ago & there is 1 brand I found that says it's safe to can in. But I was leery.

@BReeder! - OMG what a bummer! I'm sorry you spent all that time & all those good bones to have to throw it out. ☹️ :hugs

My broth is about done. I will strain it & put it in the fridge overnight to get the fat off before I package it up. I have to remove a shelf from the fridge to do so because the pot is so big, lol. But I'm thinking I can make a 2nd batch with the bones - problem being I don't have anywhere to store that much broth. :idunno :gig Again, wishing for a pressure canner right about now! Hmmm, amazon here I come!?
I do have and use a presto electric pressure canner. Love it as well as my range top AllAmerican.

There are electric pressure canners available. My neighbor has one. They aren't cheap, though, I bet.

Why can't you use an aluminum pressure canner on your stove? I know I'll have to replace my stove eventually; it's 42 years old. I already know I do not want a glass top, so maybe I need to cross induction stove off the "possible" list too?
They actually aren't that expensive.
You can't/shouldn't use pressure canners on glass tops as they are crazy heavy loaded and can shatter the top. and electric stovetops aren't really ON all the time, they cycle the coil and this up and down of temperature and mess with the pressure and your timing, which reduces the safety of your final product.

I do have and use a presto electric pressure canner. Love it as well as my range top AllAmerican.
Yep, that's it! Good to know.

I was just looking for a pressure canner & they make one for induction (not that I have induction). I have a glass top & it says it works on that too, but to contact the stove manufacturer anyway. I would probably do it outside on my grill burner, but it's too cold for that now. So...I'll find room in the freezer, lol, as I did get a 2nd 1/2 batch going from the same bones. I may have to freeze some in ziplocks, which I'm not a fan of. I inevitably punch holes in them & then they leak all over when I thaw them. & thawing them stinks too, ziplock squares don't fit in anything! :gig

Induction is also glass but can only use certain cookware which doesn’t work w aluminum on pressure canners. Also I’m told the weight of the canner plus what is being processed is too heavy if you had a glass top.

I love my induction since I can boule water in 3 minutes and the clean up is a snap. But I guess I need to improvise for processing😊

Yep, that's it! Good to know.

I was just looking for a pressure canner & they make one for induction (not that I have induction). I have a glass top & it says it works on that too, but to contact the stove manufacturer anyway. I would probably do it outside on my grill burner, but it's too cold for that now. So...I'll find room in the freezer, lol, as I did get a 2nd 1/2 batch going from the same bones. I may have to freeze some in ziplocks, which I'm not a fan of. I inevitably punch holes in them & then they leak all over when I thaw them. & thawing them stinks too, ziplock squares don't fit in anything! :gig
The holes and size issues are very true with zip bags. I use them for convenience of packing away the stock. However, I hit tge bag with a mallet or hammer to break the block of stock into 2 or 3 pieces before unbagging to use. I usually use a whole bag at once, but occassionally just a portion in which case I break the block, take a piece and get the rest back in the freezer before risk of thawing and leaking out any hole/s I likely made. I never thaw the stock in the bag though.

The holes and size issues are very true with zip bags. I use them for convenience of packing away the stock. However, I hit tge bag with a mallet or hammer to break the block of stock into 2 or 3 pieces before unbagging to use. I usually use a whole bag at once, but occassionally just a portion in which case I break the block, take a piece and get the rest back in the freezer before risk of thawing and leaking out any hole/s I likely made. I never thaw the stock in the bag though.

Thank you! That's a great idea! Generally I use a couple bags at once, I make a big pot of soup or whatever, but it sounds much easier to thaw them broken up, they'll fit in a pot.

I gave a friend green tomato catsup, green tomato salsa, pepper jam, pickles, and pickled jalapenos. He reported back that he enjoys all of it. I have the idea of participating in the local farmers market this year with baked goods and canned goods, and my friend says he would buy multiple jars of salsa and pickled jalapenos if I ventured into selling the goods.

Makes me feel good that somebody enjoys the fruits of my garden and labor. :)

Back
Top Bottom