Pics
I am seeing regular and wide mouth Ball lids in the grocery store now. $3.20 for 12 regular, and $4.20 for wide mouth. Lids only. I picked up a few boxes of the regulars to have on hand. Most of my canning is in wide mouth jars, but I wanted some regular lids too.
Our Walmart carries both. I don't remember the price off hand but it was a little cheaper than what you posted. I figured Walmart would be cheaper than a grocery store anyways. Our local, little small town hardware store has them at about the same as what you got them at. I picked up a few boxes of wide mouth for me and some regular mouth for my mom. I fully expect them to get low on stock soon. Jars are harder to find around here

I'm hoping to get to a (semi) local store that has aisles & aisles of canning stuff. Good time of year, people aren't thinking about it yet. I need some more jars, I have lots of lids - I bought sleeves of them last year online from Lehmans.

I have 4 pints of chicken breasts in the canner now. I've never done it before but with freezer space so tight I would love to get some meat on the shelves so I can buy an extra couple bags of chicken food & freeze them. I will see how I like the chicken ( & hamburger tomorrow) & decide if I want to can more.

I'm hoping to get to a (semi) local store that has aisles & aisles of canning stuff. Good time of year, people aren't thinking about it yet. I need some more jars, I have lots of lids - I bought sleeves of them last year online from Lehmans.

I have 4 pints of chicken breasts in the canner now. I've never done it before but with freezer space so tight I would love to get some meat on the shelves so I can buy an extra couple bags of chicken food & freeze them. I will see how I like the chicken ( & hamburger tomorrow) & decide if I want to can more.
I'm so proud of you! :::squee:: :celebrate

OMG I didn't even think of soup! He eats soup all the time & loves the taco soup I make - this would work great! I think based on that alone I will can some more hamburger this weekend.

I'm gonna get a bag of chicken food in that freezer somehow! :lau

i make fiesta soup with chicken, YUM!!!!
I stumbled upon this site January of 2020, and LOADED up my freezer, just because it sounded like a great thing. Little did I know how handy it would become!
But here is the soup reicpe.
You can also just toss the ingredients into the crockpot fresh or canned and go from there.
https://thefamilyfreezer.com/2014/09/24/crockpot-chicken-soup-mexican-seasonings/

Ground beef is softer, not mush, not paste, but soft after pressure canning, just like after pressure cooking. Just FYI.

Makes fantastic sloppy joes, taco meat, chili/spaghetti/soups add in
You are very right. I opened a jar of it, warmed it up with taco season, a little cheese & salsa & sour cream. I like it, but it is def soft. I think it will be just fine in soup or for tacos.

Back
Top Bottom