But I really am thinking that the reason I was told not to add corn was because they were thinking creamed corn, which would probably even be longer? or more dangerous to add because I use quarts? Not sure.
I'm not sure, I don't like creamed corn so I don't prep it

I'm not sure, I don't like creamed corn so I don't prep it
I don't prefer it creamed. My husband does. I then try to get a good mix without too much creamed corn. Some of my in-laws prefer more or even mostly creamed corn. When it's my turn to box up my corn, I make sure I don't mix in too much creamed corn. The creamers work well for the "younger helpers" so we always have some creamed corn.

Question for any pressure canning pros. Can I throw homemade vegetable soup in cans and pressure can it? I made a medium sized batch of soup today, but I still have tons of vegetables and was thinking I could put a few pots on at once in the next few days, and save myself some freezer space if I am able to can any.
You can absolutely can vegetable soup! One caution don't put in cabbage broccoli cauliflower etc. It ferments the cabbage and it tastes like sauerkraut soup! ( lesson learned)It overtook the flavor of the whole quart!, just remember if you don't see on groc shelf it's probably not good to can. I have this yummy recipe mix of carrots, beans, onions, tomatoes, potatoes. That I can. On those cold nights when rushed I add my canned beef to it and YUMMY. Dinners ready. Some folks can all veggies separate also.
The advice of can as long as the longest vegetable is correct.
I have no idea why you were told creamed corn takes more time? That one stumps me.

You can absolutely can vegetable soup! One caution don't put in cabbage broccoli cauliflower etc. It ferments the cabbage and it tastes like sauerkraut soup! ( lesson learned)It overtook the flavor of the whole quart!, just remember if you don't see on groc shelf it's probably not good to can. I have this yummy recipe mix of carrots, beans, onions, tomatoes, potatoes. That I can. On those cold nights when rushed I add my canned beef to it and YUMMY. Dinners ready. Some folks can all veggies separate also.
The advice of can as long as the longest vegetable is correct.
I have no idea why you were told creamed corn takes more time? That one stumps me.
Creamed Corn is more dense than kernel corn so it affects its ability to heat thoroughly to the center of the jar. (I'm tired so I'm not sure if I worded that correctly.)

I think I’m going to raw pack potatoes, green beans, onions, carrots, celery, and barely cooked chicken. Assuming all of those would be fine in a soup after what everyone posted and scouring some canning websites. I will most likely do pints so they are take-to-work size and I don’t get stuck on a day with no leftovers and no planning with no lunch. Seems like 75 minutes should be fine for those. Wanted to add zucchini too but after researching it looks like it’s better to leave it out.

I think I’m going to raw pack potatoes, green beans, onions, carrots, celery, and barely cooked chicken. Assuming all of those would be fine in a soup after what everyone posted and scouring some canning websites. I will most likely do pints so they are take-to-work size and I don’t get stuck on a day with no leftovers and no planning with no lunch. Seems like 75 minutes should be fine for those. Wanted to add zucchini too but after researching it looks like it’s better to leave it out.
The meat added in changes everything. Research that properly and be sure to pressure can it for enough time

Should work. I've done this but usually beef. I've done carrots, celery & onion with chicken. I use the chicken broth from cooking my chicken as my liquid.
The meat added in changes everything. Research that properly and be sure to pressure can it for enough time
75 min pints; 90 min quarts according to my notes. Let me know if I'm wrong.

75 pints 90 for quarts because of chicken.

Back
Top Bottom