Prolapsed Hen

reesaamy

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
My 1.5 yr old Wyandotte prolapsed yesterday, I managed to push it back in after I cleaned it up. Any tips on why this happened? Lack of calcium? I couldn't feel any eggs so I'm not sure if she's egg-bound. Any way to stop this from happening? possible purse stitch to help it all stay in place? I put her on pain meds and antibiotics as she is also favoring one of her feet. Could be the start of bumble foot so I wrapped her feet and she's now inside on a thick towel.

I had one of my hens (buff orpington- 9 months old) prolapse last week. I took her to a vet and she was able to fix the prolapse with a suture and it has held for several days. However, the chicken can't poop now...not sure if that was the initial problem. (graphic-warning --- there was a previous running of fluid out of the vent that has now subsided but she is unable to pass anything large out of her vent still.

I had a duck prolapse once from overbreeding. What I didn't realize was that the drake in our flock was favoring that one duck and she was smaller than the others, including the drake. All that considered was the reason why she prolapsed. Do you have a rooster? Is she favored by him? Is she a prolific layer?

Sorry I couldn't do much before. I'm still trying to help my goose with her too large egg. In researching this i came across an older thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/793/please-help-my-chicken-with-prolapse

The short of it is, they used honey. It works because it acts as an antibiotic and it also shrinks the tissue. It couldn't hurt to try it. I am going to be doing it myself as soon as my poor Lucy can have this egg. Good luck and please let me know how it all works out for you.

Ugh, this is an awful problem! We have had this too, and best thing we found for future,is giving them their own dish of oyster shells!
Not sure if this is or was the issue, but honestly since we have made the Extra available we have not had this problem!

Amazing difference, whether connected or not!?!

The hens literally RUN to the dish, Each time I fill it!
They hear the clanking in the metal dish !

Run!

Our hen did not prolapse again, thankfully, but I did have to do something I NEVER EVER thought I would do...give a chicken an enema. After several attempts using very dishsoapy water, we were able to flush out the hard and grainy poop that had settled, was blocking the vent and causing our hen much pain. Afterward there was about a 24 hour period of some blood, but that sore healed and within 48 hours the hen was close to normal and back with the flock. Several days later, other than having to endure a little hen-pecking, she is fine and back to normal. Not sure if she has yet started laying, but all in all, a success.

I have started giving all of my hens extra calcium, hopefully it will help. I have no rooster, she's a pretty reliable layer and has actually laid a few eggs since the prolapse with no incident. It seems the prolapse happened when I caught her up to look at her injured foot.
Her foot isn't getting better but hopefully it will soon.
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions!

I have started giving all of my hens extra calcium, hopefully it will help. I have no rooster, she's a pretty reliable layer and has actually laid a few eggs since the prolapse with no incident. It seems the prolapse happened when I caught her up to look at her injured foot.
Her foot isn't getting better but hopefully it will soon.
Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions!
What are you using on the foot?

Back
Top Bottom