Puffed Up

luckyme3

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2019
I've been away for the weekend. My neighbors have been in charge of feeding and watering (and collecting the eggs, of course) my hens.
One of my year old hens is acting weird and looks to be really puffy. She is not extending her neck at all. I just noticed one of her eyes is closed also.
Any thoughts or ideas? She is pretty much keeping to herself.

I've been away for the weekend. My neighbors have been in charge of feeding and watering (and collecting the eggs, of course) my hens.
One of my year old hens is acting weird and looks to be really puffy. She is not extending her neck at all. I just noticed one of her eyes is closed also.
Any thoughts or ideas? She is pretty much keeping to herself.
I'm sorry that your hen is not well.
Do you know when she last laid an egg? You may want to feel inside the vent to see if she's having trouble expelling an egg.
If you have photos of her and her poop those may be helpful as well.

I'm sorry that your hen is not well.
Do you know when she last laid an egg? You may want to feel inside the vent to see if she's having trouble expelling an egg.
If you have photos of her and her poop those may be helpful as well.
I have 24 hens and have never been able to figure out who is laying what. I will try to catch her again today and check for the egg. Yesterday I messaged her entire chest and neck area thinking she might have food packed in her whatcha'ma'call-it. I felt nothing strange but did it for a bit anyway.

I am really struggling with maneuvering this web page. It has been several days since I was able to find this post again.
I have quarantined this hen. I tried to clear her gullet: nothing seamed amiss there. I have been giving her warm baths: nothing changes.
She is eating a little. She perches at night. She has been pooping. She has not layed any eggs in days.
I don't know if I should keep her pinned up or let her get back out there with the rest of the girls.
Any and all ideas and advise will be most appreciated!!!

To find out of she is laying eggs, you can put a little lipstick back there, just make sure you use some funky color other than a red. The dollar stores usually carry blue, green and other funky colors. Chickens will peck at the color red and you don't want that. I've also heard of people putting a few drops of food coloring in there.
Good luck.

I am really struggling with maneuvering this web page. It has been several days since I was able to find this post again.
I have quarantined this hen. I tried to clear her gullet: nothing seamed amiss there. I have been giving her warm baths: nothing changes.
She is eating a little. She perches at night. She has been pooping. She has not layed any eggs in days.
I don't know if I should keep her pinned up or let her get back out there with the rest of the girls.
Any and all ideas and advise will be most appreciated!!!
You mention you tried to clear her crop, is it empty in the mornings before she's had anything to eat/drink?

If she's not being picked on, then I would leave her with the flock, usually they are more comfortable that way.
Getting some photos of what she and the poop looks like may be helpful. In your original post you say she's puffed up and not extending her neck, is she still doing that?

Back
Top Bottom