KodamaFarmer

Chirping
Oct 9, 2017
We recently picked up some pullets from a farm nearby. One of the pullets looked like it was breathing hard (her tail was going up and down with each breath).

We separated her and now she has started wheezing with each breath. She has been breathing with her mouth open off and on too. She is not sneezing or coughing and she still was eating a little this morning. Her poo looks pretty normal but she is very lethargic now.

Please Help! I've given her some yogurt but I don't think she's eaten any. Let me know if there's anything I should be doing!

Last edited:
Wheezing can be a sign of several different respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, or aspergillosis from mold. Does she sneeze or cough, have any nasal drainage, watery or foamy eyes, or any swelling around an eye? Can you contact the person you bought them from? Respiratory diseases are contagious, and some can make carriers of the whole flock if they are just exposed. I would keep her isolated to watch her or take her back. If you have other chickens, keep these new ones in quarantine for at least a month with good biosecurity measures (handwashing, changing shoes or clothes, and disinfecting equipment. MG or coryza can sometimes respond to Tylan 50 injectable. ILT and infectious bronchitis, another disease that causes sneezing, are caused by a virus, and aspergillosis is a fungal infection, so neither of those will be affected. Here is a good article where you can read about these diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Wheezing can be a sign of several different respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, or aspergillosis from mold. Does she sneeze or cough, have any nasal drainage, watery or foamy eyes, or any swelling around an eye? Can you contact the person you bought them from? Respiratory diseases are contagious, and some can make carriers of the whole flock if they are just exposed. I would keep her isolated to watch her or take her back. If you have other chickens, keep these new ones in quarantine for at least a month with good biosecurity measures (handwashing, changing shoes or clothes, and disinfecting equipment. MG or coryza can sometimes respond to Tylan 50 injectable. ILT and infectious bronchitis, another disease that causes sneezing, are caused by a virus, and aspergillosis is a fungal infection, so neither of those will be affected. Here is a good article where you can read about these diseases:
Hi, thank you so much for all the info. She has no nasal drainage, swelling, or sneezing at all. I will look into those other diseases. I really appreciate the help!

You are welcome. If you can post a video to YouTube with a link posted here tomorrow of her wheezing, we might be more helpful. Sometimes chickens will get a noise called stridor when they get a piece of food, a foreign object, or even mucus in the airway. It sometimes goes away when they clear their throats. A heart issue or ascites (fluid on the belly) might also cause a wheeze. It may take some time to figure it out. Some chickens are exposed to diseases, and they may not show symptoms until they are really stressed, such as when they are moved to a new flock, or another stressor such as molting.

You are welcome. If you can post a video to YouTube with a link posted here tomorrow of her wheezing, we might be more helpful. Sometimes chickens will get a noise called stridor when they get a piece of food, a foreign object, or even mucus in the airway. It sometimes goes away when they clear their throats. A heart issue or ascites (fluid on the belly) might also cause a wheeze. It may take some time to figure it out. Some chickens are exposed to diseases, and they may not show symptoms until they are really stressed, such as when they are moved to a new flock, or another stressor such as molting.

Great idea. Here is a link to a video, let me know if it works.

Her tail bobs up and down every time she breaths which you can see in the video.

Thank you for taking the time to do this, we are so grateful!

Until you know what may be causing her labored breathing, provide supportive care.

* A warm enviroment, if it's cold use a heat light on low.
* moisten some mash, no dry food for now. You can moisten with water or apple juice.
* Black or red grapes, minced apples or melon, chopped greens, cooked whole grains
* Diced meat, extra protien to boost strength Hemp Protien is OK, (No Soy).
* Aloe Vera Juice in water, 1 Tb. per cup. I like Lily of the Valley Aloe Vera 80 Detox.

Let her rest, if she doesn't eat or drink...sadly, she may die soon.

It's hard to know what is wrong with only one real symptom, labored breathing. Generally, lack of appetite, lethargy, diarrhea, or mucous from nostrils or vent are just some of the indicators that enable experienced chicken keepers to give a probable diagnosis. Then, you could decide on treatment. The people here are really good at figuring out chicken problems, but need something to go on.
For now, observe and support as best you can.
God Bless.

Hi, sorry I didn't see the video until now. I just saw your newer thread where you lost the pullet. Very sorry for your loss. If you should lose another, try to refrigerate the body in a plastic bag, so you can take or send it in to your state vet for a necropsy (autopsy) to look for a certain disease. Sometimes with a respiratory disease without nasal or eye drainage, you might be dealing with fungus (aspergillosis) or a secondary E.coli infection. Both are hard to diagnose until a necropsy is done. Below is a good link on common respiratory diseases, and another one for contact info on necropsies:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom