➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

last one hatched....i started to open another one and it was DIS and after candling, the remaining egg appeared to have quit so I ditched it (couldn’t handle the thought of opening another smelly one):sick so final count is 10/13 hatched. the splayed leg looks to have partially corrected and is able to eat and drink. Not really sure if albino or splayed leg will survive, but my scissorbeak has made it to 2+ weeks when others didn’t??? Most of my homegrowns are so little compared to shipped eggs though....not sure exactly why (maybe because young layers?)

What's the final count for this hatch?

I got up to 37 but now back down to 31. I lost one that was splay legged, one that was splayed and had a crooked neck, one in the incubator that had JUST hatched, and three more for unknown reasons.:hmm The other 31 look good and have quite a few feathers! Mostly tibetans and italians with one A&M and a few tuxedos. The one that was very contorted was just in the egg for too long. I got him out on day 20, but he pipped on day 17 or so. He never did more than a pip, I'm surprised he was still alive on day 20.

last one hatched....i started to open another one and it was DIS and after candling, the remaining egg appeared to have quit so I ditched it (couldn’t handle the thought of opening another smelly one):sick so final count is 10/13 hatched. the splayed leg looks to have partially corrected and is able to eat and drink. Not really sure if albino or splayed leg will survive, but my scissorbeak has made it to 2+ weeks when others didn’t??? Most of my homegrowns are so little compared to shipped eggs though....not sure exactly why (maybe because young layers?)
With chickens you’re supposed to wait until the girls have been laying for a while before attempting to hatch their eggs. I would imagine the wait for quail would be shorter since they appear to live faster, but giving them some time to get their reproductive processes sorted out sounds like a good idea to me.

Only quail tho right? You dont wanna kno how many chickens ive hatched or how many phesants he has. ive found the chickens sweet spot in my temps... the quail last time popped too i could hardly tear myself away! So that would bump my numbers like another 50 lol and so many dates, i like small clutches but Mr Robby keeps filling my incubator and some people u cant say no to:confused:
I was just kidding but yeah, just quail...I'm just checking the fertility before I ship some
stupid storms and crazy weather!!! benjamin button was injured this morning in the netting. he hasn’t regained use of one leg but seems to be eating, drinking, and cuddling with his pheasant buddies just fine. I lost 3 more quail to the overcrowded shed brooder overnight but hubby set up my extra cage today and I moved largest quail and MM pheasants out there to split numbers. Had another 2 homegrowns hatch while I was at the office and moved them to the brooder about 6 when I had another first happen.....one of the eggs was rotten and exploded!! 1 of the other 3 was trying to hatch and the other 2 were pipped!!! so I set them on the top in other bator while I cleaned out the rotten egg and watching until I can get hatcher warmed back up and move them back!! hopefully they will continue to hatch ok......little albino runt seems to be eating so I’m hopeful he isn’t blind.
Exploding eggs :sick

Who feels like they are really good at determining quail egg fertility? And what's your secret?
My quail are doing the nasty, but I want to make sure the eggs are fertile before I throw a bunch in the incubator. I'm going to wait at least another week or two since they just recently started laying, but I want to use this time to practice train my eye for fertile eggs. I get that there's a bulls-eye in on the yolk. What's it really look like though? Pics? Any other fertility test ideas?

2F129503-2C09-418D-8160-88B7378F7C77.jpeg
Once I showed LO, she began spotting them in the others. Strangest birthday cake ever.

Who feels like they are really good at determining quail egg fertility? And what's your secret?
My quail are doing the nasty, but I want to make sure the eggs are fertile before I throw a bunch in the incubator. I'm going to wait at least another week or two since they just recently started laying, but I want to use this time to practice train my eye for fertile eggs. I get that there's a bulls-eye in on the yolk. What's it really look like though? Pics? Any other fertility test ideas?
It's impossible to tell. The best way is to throw them in the bator.

Kiki tried very hard, too. I read her quail egg adventures toward the beginning of this thread. :thI’m not sure I’d even try to judge by looking at the yolks. Like she said, just give it a go in the incubator. With a light of sufficient lumens you should have some idea within a week to 10 days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom