Quail hen's back feathers poofed

taterandflock

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2022
Hey all, my sweet little hen, Tater Tot, has been eating and drinking just fine (not 100% sure she's laying, I assume she is but she's in there with several other hens, no roos) but she's had this strange poof to her back feathers for several days now. I'm worried she's egg-bound. Should I give her an Epsom soak, or is this normal? What do you all think this could be? She's a bit disheveled because she's due for a molt. We're also working on the poopy toes.
20230721_202432.jpg
20230721_202414.jpg

Only time I've seen feathers like that is with broodies defending a nest. Does it ever lay flat/rise and fall, or does it seem stuck like this? What does her skin look like (e.g. red, rough, mites) under the raised part? That doesn't look like egg-bound standing posture to me, but keep an eye on her.

That's a relief, at least. Yeah, it's stuck like that most of the time. No mites, no roughness. Skin looks normal.
Huh, I'm just not sure what this is. In my birds, at least, similar presentation seems to be a sort of "hackle" response like in dogs—hens get their feathers raised and when a threat is near. I hope your bird is okay.

Huh, I'm just not sure what this is. In my birds, at least, similar presentation seems to be a sort of "hackle" response like in dogs—hens get their feathers raised and when a threat is near. I hope your bird is okay.
Thank you for trying at least! I'm definitely keeping an eye on her

There are many reasons, here are a few that are the most common reasons for curled feathers. If it's not a response to a 'threat', it is most likely due to nutrition, she isn't processing a vital nutrient or even protein, Some birds have trouble/ genetical mishaps with the digestive tract. What feed is she being fed?

Last edited:
There are many reasons, here are a few that are the most common reasons for curled feathers. If it's not a response to a 'threat', it is most likely due to nutrition, she isn't processing a vital nutrient or even protein, Some birds have trouble/ genetical mishaps with the digestive tract. What feed is she being fed?
She's on this feed, with some gamebird crumbles mixed in as well. This is a really new issue for her, started about a week or two ago. Shes also an older bird, a year and a half old, if that helps.
16900510457901838905782973184959.jpg

She's on this feed, with some gamebird crumbles mixed in as well. This is a really new issue for her, started about a week or two ago. Shes also an older bird, a year and a half old, if that helps.View attachment 3585253
Protein is a little low, I feed a 24% protein feed from hatch til death. Both the Lysine and Methionine are low...gamebirds should have for Lysine 1.4 to 1.5% and for Methionine + cystine should be around 1%, neither of which in your feed is even at the minimum requirement level for gamebirds. Both of those amino acids are vital to muscle, skeletal and feather development. Also, have an effect on neurological development.

Protein is a little low, I feed a 24% protein feed from hatch til death. Both the Lysine and Methionine are low...gamebirds should have for Lysine 1.4 to 1.5% and for Methionine + cystine should be around 1%, neither of which in your feed is even at the minimum requirement level for gamebirds. Both of those amino acids are vital to muscle, skeletal and feather development. Also, have an effect on neurological development.
That's strange. I just took a look at the minimums for coturnix quail and all the levels were within the correct ranges.
It wouldn't make sense for her to be the only one with these issues, unless she specifically is having absorption issues. Also, I feed them these crumbles mixed in.
Screenshot_20230722_132646_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20230722_132651_Amazon Shopping.jpg

(There isn't really any other feed available that isn't like $80 for a 20lb bag, only available to me online. But I will certainly see what I can do by switching around some foods.)

That's strange. I just took a look at the minimums for coturnix quail and all the levels were within the correct ranges.
It wouldn't make sense for her to be the only one with these issues, unless she specifically is having absorption issues. Also, I feed them these crumbles mixed in. View attachment 3585375View attachment 3585376
(There isn't really any other feed available that isn't like $80 for a 20lb bag, only available to me online. But I will certainly see what I can do by switching around some foods.)
It wouldn't make sense for her to be the only one with these issues, unless she
specifically is having absorption issues.

You 'nailed it' right there!!!! Sometimes only one will have an issue, other times 2 or 3 or more may have the same issues. Depends on if they have the same parent stock, and if there were any nutrional issues with them or the feed ration they were being fed!

Back
Top Bottom