2E947DCB-31A0-4756-8989-854920084122.jpeg
75DE5280-BAD1-4674-B6F2-CA0E84D83729.jpeg
A1D8C33C-DE60-41AB-9427-B4D94780B153.jpeg
24BE69DA-0F9D-4365-96D2-B17763117BE3.jpeg
C26A4ABD-4668-424E-B45A-6077194B59E0.jpeg
F1958467-75F2-4564-9103-C2E1915A5D7D.jpeg
A6F9857A-F0C2-4752-AAEF-133CA037174E.jpeg
5F432668-9E0C-4B62-8597-74E458B5A9C8.jpeg
We got 6 day-old chicks in January-one each of the following: ameracauna, buff Orpington, barred rock, silkie, Rhode Island Red, and a Polish. After a few weeks in the brooder we noticed that the Polish was being pecked on the head. She had a small sore and was missing feathers. We isolated her and treated her with theracyn. The sore healed so we put her back in the coop but the next day she had a little blood again. She had a lot of pin feathers so I guess they were pecking at the blood in the feathers. We were told she would have to be separated until the feathers came in fully because the others would peck at the blood. She has been separated for about 2 months now because the feathers are still not fully open. I am wondering how long it takes for the feathers to open and when I can safely re-introduce her. She is in a dog crate and we put it next to the coop daily but have to bring it in to our porch at night. The coop isn’t really big enough for me to put the crate inside the coop. Also since she lost a lot of her head feathers she looks more like a rooster than a hen. She also makes ca-caw noises every so often but not like a cock-a-doodle-doo. I believe she is a hen but can’t be 100% certain. :( She did have the typical Q-tip like appearance of a female as a baby chick. Any help appreciated. I will share pictures. Thank you!

She's a he. A cockerel. But that's not the problem unless you don't want a rooster. The problem is the fancy feathered head. Unless Polish are multiple in a flock, the solitary poofy head gets all the attention. Chickens automatically go for the different thing among them.

Your predicament is two-fold. One is to figure out a way to diffuse and desensitize the chickens to the difference of the poofy head and the other is how to re-integrate this chicken after being out of the flock for so long.

I've found from experience that if you introduce numerous items that resemble the thing the chickens are focusing on, it can neutralize the attraction and they will eventually come to ignore both the artificial items and the poofy head. It's up to you to get creative and find something that resembles a Polish head poof. Those small shower nylon scrub puffs come to mind. You'd need at least half a dozen to get the job done. Hang them around the run or wherever the chickens are during the day.

The other issue is reintegrating when you have so little room. To do it safely, it would help to have a safe pen or cage for the Polish to stay in while gradually increasing his exposure to the flock. I do it slowly over a few weeks, increasing the time the chicken is in with the flock. According to how much harassment the bird gets, the length of time with the flock is limited to a period in which everyone is getting along, increasing each day. The bird roosts with the flock at night regardless as that hastens integration. Just put him up on a perch after the rest have settled in.

She's a he. A cockerel. But that's not the problem unless you don't want a rooster.”

Hi and thank you so much for your reply! Can you tell me how you determined that s/he is a cockerel? Unfortunately I cannot have roosters, so that would definitely be a problem. I took her to the feed store where I got her and they said it was hard to tell and I’d have to wait a couple more months to see if she lays eggs. I’ve read a lot about determining boy vs. girl but still haven’t been able to conclude which she (her name is Barbara) is. I read about the way the head looks on the chicks (more of the fluffy q-tip vs. a flat top on a boy), the arc of the tail, and the crest...round and poofy vs. wild and crazy. She HAD the round and poofy crest as you can see in the younger photos but now she looks wild and crazy. I also have read and watched videos on the noise she makes and that hens do make noises. Sadly, Barbara is my daughter’s favorite “hen” and she would be sad if Barbara is a he, as would I. She has a lot of personality. :(

How long does it typically take for the pin feathers to unfurl and is there anything I can do to help them along? I also read it’s hard for the polish to “assist” them in opening since they are on the head. IF by some chance she is not a he, my plan was to hang some toys and shiny objects in the pen for the others to peck at. I got a flock block which they like but the 5 don’t peck at each other anyway. I was also planning to expand the coop for daytime use. I cannot free range my chickens unfortunately so they have to be contained. Still I would not be able to fit the dog crate in the original coop at night. I could leave it in the expanded pen during the day however. That area will not be fully predator proof for nighttime and we have a lot of potential predators in our area-hawks in the yard, coyotes, raccoons, possums (not sure if they count)...not to mention dogs and cats. Thanks again!

Look at the pointy feathers (saddle) on the back in front of the tail. Also, the head dress seems larger than a hen would have, but it's not conclusive. Look at the comb. Is it a definite red color or washed out pale pink? Red connotes cockerel.

The length of time it takes for pin feathers to develop depends on the genes and health of the individual. It can take a month or up to a year.

You will not be keeping this guy in the cage at night. He will be roosting on a perch with the flock.

22245565-BC0D-4B3E-AE5C-57E6AC784725.jpeg
D8DEC0EB-636C-4F73-9590-FFC2D14B717C.jpeg
3A74EA08-5A76-4020-82DD-FA42942C1C9B.jpeg
Thank you so much...here are some pictures of the saddle feathers, hackles, and the wattle which does appear red. I guess we will wait a little longer to be 100% certain but assuming you are correct (which it appears you are!) he will have to be rehomed. Let me know what you think of the pictures, and if they confirm your suspicions. Thank you!!

D82D5F47-0B53-49D9-8EB0-00938D091F00.jpeg
I have one more question...separate issue. My buff Orpington has this black protrusion in her beak/comb. Is this normal or cause for concern? She is 13 weeks. Thank you!

Let's assume it's just a pecking injury an not fowl pox, which would likely have more than just one lesion. Put some Blu-kote on it, just a tiny dab with a Q-tip, and it should clear up.

To be on the safe side, open her beak and inspect the inside of her mouth for sores. Are you in an area with a mosquito problem? Fowl pox is spread by mosquitoes.

Well, I live in Central Florida and it is 85 degrees today but there haven’t been a ton of mosquitoes yet this spring. I recently sprayed the coop with an insecticide as a preventive-sold to me by the feed store, for lice, mites, and other pests. It is the only lesion she has and none of the other pullets appear to have any. I will check in her mouth when my daughter gets here to help me. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom