Raising two chicks?

LillianMae

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Oregon
Hey guys, so I'm thinking in Spring I'm going to get two chicks. My question is, with two chicks I know there's a larger chance of having one or both die on me, so I'm wondering what I can do to help insure their survival? Thanks!

I wouldn't actually say there is a better chance of them dieing, the reason people recommend three is so IF one dies the other is not lonely. Feed, water, heat like any chicks, if you only have two, I'm sure you will pamper them and be aware if anything seems amiss and treat accordingly. Lots of information here to help wide you. They should do fine.

You don't mention if they will be your only chickens in your flock. If there are adult chickens to contend with, you will have an entire set of problems introducing just two chicks into the mix.

If they're your only chickens, having two should be no problem, and there's no reason to think any will die other than an occasional chick fails the first week due to failure to thrive issues. Getting three insures against that possibility and provides a companion to the chick that would be the lone survivor.

If it were me, I would go for three, since caring for three is no more trouble than caring for just two.

Back
Top Bottom