Random duck in my backyard?

ErikBigD

Hatching
Feb 27, 2021
A Muscovy appeared two nights ago before a storm and I thought maybe it would leave in the morning. I gave it water and some lettuce to stay healthy but by the next morning she was still there. She doesn’t look sick and since it’s only one I don’t believe she’s nesting, so I’m not sure why it’s been two days now and she’s still here. She isn’t particularly amicable like most ducks, even waddles away when I feed her, so I’m not sure what’s going on. Maybe she can’t fly away or she just likes it here, but either way, thoughts?

I would’ve thought a domestic one would’ve been more inclined to humans, this one is too shy. We also have a 6 foot high wooden fence but I guess someone tall enough could’ve gotten her across. She doesn’t look ill at all, just a curious occurrence.
Most of them are domestic and just feral, she maybe was raised in the wild but she looks like she's domestic, I've never seen them because I live in Florida and there are only the domestic ones here, but the truly wild ones are mostly black, and live in Mexico and Central America, or sometimes southern Texas. I live in Florida and the domestic ones here that are raised in the wild by ducks stick around people pretty quickly when they are fed. They are generally pretty friendly ducks, if you keep feeding her she should get more used to you and might decide to stick around. One of my ducks was a feral duck that was injured at a local park so I took her in and helped her out, she hated me at first but now she hangs out with my other ducks all day and gets along great, and she's more used to me now she will come and take treats from my hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-231102_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-231102_Chrome.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210227-231212_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-231212_Chrome.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 4
A Muscovy appeared two nights ago before a storm and I thought maybe it would leave in the morning. I gave it water and some lettuce to stay healthy but by the next morning she was still there. She doesn’t look sick and since it’s only one I don’t believe she’s nesting, so I’m not sure why it’s been two days now and she’s still here. She isn’t particularly amicable like most ducks, even waddles away when I feed her, so I’m not sure what’s going on. Maybe she can’t fly away or she just likes it here, but either way, thoughts?
Update:
It can indeed fly. My dog got excited this morning and decided to chase the duck, it then got on top of the fence to escape. I had to push it back in the yard since there’s a major road on the other side. Sooo, she can fly! I guess she just liked it here.

I would’ve thought a domestic one would’ve been more inclined to humans, this one is too shy. We also have a 6 foot high wooden fence but I guess someone tall enough could’ve gotten her across. She doesn’t look ill at all, just a curious occurrence.
My ducks hate me, there super scared of me. Plus, if the person dumped her, I can't imagine they took the time to socialize her. I would look around, see if anyone is missing her. Do you know if she can fly?

My ducks hate me, there super scared of me. Plus, if the person dumped her, I can't imagine they took the time to socialize her. I would look around, see if anyone is missing her. Do you know if she can fly?

My ducks hate me too.... Won't eat treats or seem remotely interested in anything special I do for them. Dumb ducks... Or maybe I'm the dummy because I like them anyway.... 😂

I would be thrilled if a random duck showed up at my house.

Turns out, (I didn't know this because I have never owned Muscovies) but even domestic ones can fly. Who knows if she is domestic or wild, but it still seems like you have a new Muscovy.
Domestic Muscovy are excellent flyers, especially the girls. It's why they do so well as an invasive species. They perch and nest up in trees sometimes, I've never seen a wild one, but from my understanding the wild ones are basically all black. It can be hard to find information on the truly wild ones because they are much more rare than their domestic counterpart l, but I'm pretty confident the one in this thread is domestic. I've attached some pictures of truly wild Muscovy, and frankly the truly wild ones wouldn't go anywhere near humans(I hear they are very very skiddish) and generally wouldn't leave the forests they live in.

Attachments

• 40638721-480px (1).jpg
    40638721-480px (1).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210228-161055_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210228-161055_Gallery.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom