Rhododendron in paddock - do I need to worry

MandalaMaMa

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
southern Oregon coast
We just built a 3 phase paddock this summer for our girls and there is a very large Rhododendron in one of them. I saw on here that Rhodes are toxic to chickens last night. Do I need to be concerned about this. I had no idea. They have had access to the paddock for 10 day's now and everyone seems fine. They mainly go in the morning and the evening. They like to lounge around in the afternoons. They are mainly just scratching under it. Alot of dried leaves under there and great dirt. Any thoughts on this. I have 20 hens -- 12 pullets and the other 8 are older. Six - 1 1/2 yrs old and two - 3 yrs. old. Any thoughts on this.

Chickens usually leave toxic plants alone, and if they have been in there for 10 days with do adverse reactions, I say you are fine.

Chickens usually leave toxic plants alone, and if they have been in there for 10 days with do adverse reactions, I say you are fine.

Thanks -- that was kinda what I was thinking too but just thought I'd ask. I don't think next spring when the rhode is blooming I'll let the girls in that paddock. Their blooms are really sticky when they fall off and we could have a really big mess.

Thanks -- that was kinda what I was thinking too but just thought I'd ask. I don't think next spring when the rhode is blooming I'll let the girls in that paddock. Their blooms are really sticky when they fall off and we could have a really big mess.

Yeah, I would say you are good to leave them in there. Those blooms will be messy. I would give the paddock a rest while they bloom, you might get some grass for them when you put them back in there.

Back
Top Bottom