Ribh's D'Coopage

I had a *Yikes!* moment yesterday ~ mostly because it was so unexpected. We don't have a lot of predators because there isn't a lot of ground dwelling prey around for them so when we got home yesterday I let my big girls out for the couple of hours before feed time. Normally I would leave them out in the run for the 1/2 hour or so while we duck out to do our mailing & pick up our bread & milk & they would be perfectly safe. Yesterday we spotted what looked like a boxer/pit bull X casing out our property from the paddock across the road! I don't know who owns him, where he comes from or why he was loose but I wasn't happy. Nor were my girls! I rounded them all up & tidied them away in the coop again until I got home but now I will have to keep a sharp eye out. When it comes to predation other people's dogs are the worst! And that sort never considers other people might see chickens as friends & pets, not just egg laying machines. Hopefully they will move on soon & take their horrible dog with them!
Yup, you could do without that.

Yesterday morning.
We left early for the mainland.

I had bits cut out of sensitive parts of my face so I was pretty much a write off for the rest of the day.
Chook food, building stuff & some yarn for me.

The girls spent their 1st full day together & I wasn't round to supervise. :(
Everyone survived. Mhari & Medh were both eating from my hand yesterday & they both roosted together on the top bar last night. Interesting social dynamics starting to emerge.
View attachment 2035625
The more I look at these pictures the more I think a feral flock should be living there.

Good morning folks :frow

Jeannie, just wow. dogs are bad. I have an LGD who will take care of such problems, but it's something that needs a watchful eye.

Shad, your friend doing the feed thing is amazing to me. I've gotten pretty good at it, but so much more to learn and the herbalist. Just wow. so much knowledge there.

I don't know how high off the ground they are.
I haven't been out in the grounds. I have seen the maternity units because they are close to his house.
I don't have any pictures and even I took my camera I couldn't get close enough to a chicken to take a shot.:D You see one for a fleeting moment and then they're gone.
I should explain. I do speak basic Catalan but he speaks mostly Spanish or Moroccan. I don't speak either. He does speak some English but not enough to make detailed stuff easily understandable.
Also he doesn't really want people out in the grounds disturbing the chickens which I understand. I don't like it when people do that here.

I have wondered though; in this day and age whether we can make ourselves better understood with translation apps on our phones. Although it’s also good fun learning a new language, just considerably slower!

I had a *Yikes!* moment yesterday ~ mostly because it was so unexpected. We don't have a lot of predators because there isn't a lot of ground dwelling prey around for them so when we got home yesterday I let my big girls out for the couple of hours before feed time. Normally I would leave them out in the run for the 1/2 hour or so while we duck out to do our mailing & pick up our bread & milk & they would be perfectly safe. Yesterday we spotted what looked like a boxer/pit bull X casing out our property from the paddock across the road! I don't know who owns him, where he comes from or why he was loose but I wasn't happy. Nor were my girls! I rounded them all up & tidied them away in the coop again until I got home but now I will have to keep a sharp eye out. When it comes to predation other people's dogs are the worst! And that sort never considers other people might see chickens as friends & pets, not just egg laying machines. Hopefully they will move on soon & take their horrible dog with them!

Dogs are really scary. They kill for fun and will kill as many hens as they can. That's one of the reasons I love my big fence.

Back
Top Bottom