RIR acting strange

Ernie G

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
My 4 week old RIR is tucking her beak to her breast, almost tipping forward. Any ideas if something is wrong? definitely not acting the same.

In such a young bird who starts acting lethargic coccidiosis is always the first thing I suspect and treat for immediately. It's just so common and it's so lethal you are just better off to start them on a course of treatment asap with Corid. When caught and treated early it is easily corrected. Wait just a little to long and they die fast.

I'm not saying this couldn't be something else, but you would be wise to rule out coccidiosis first.

Is she sitting puffed up, or is her neck stuck like this picture? Wry neck can cause the neck to be twisted down, up, and sideways. If she is puffed up, then coccidiosis may be the cause. Symptoms are lethargy, diarrhea, poor appetite, and puffing up.
Copy%20of%20LAYER%20x420.jpg

Not puffed up. Actually sometimes neck tucked and walking backwards. Neck twisted under.

Unfortunately, I think your chickens has wry or crook neck. It is a symptom of head injury, Mareks or other disease, or vitamins deficiency. This is fairly common. It sometimes takes some time to treat and get over--weeks sometimes. Not all recover. Place her in a crate in the house with food and water close to her. Start some poultry vitamins in the water or PolyVisol baby vitamins 3 drops daily. Selenium in small amounts are helpful. In extreme cases prednisone may be prescribed by a vet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom