rooster becoming very aggressive

drdrew

Chirping
Jan 2, 2023
lebanon
my flock lives in an open space with some pigeons but they sleep in different coops the pigeons live in a big coop hung over the ground so the chickens can’t get in but they have a common area where they feed and just roam around
they didnt likr each other at first but now they have been living in peace together for the past year
my 11 months old rooster has been becoming very aggressive lately he’s been attacking the chickens sometimes and everytime he sees a pigeon he runs to peck it and i often get a fair share when he decides to start fighting me and he can cause some damage
today i found him pecking aggressively at one of the pigeons till he literally killed it i just saw him fighting a dead pigeon body and eating it
should i just slaughter the guy ?

A88DBA6E-32A7-4B96-AD35-FCBDEE4D42F8.gif

my flock lives in an open space with some pigeons but they sleep in different coops the pigeons live in a big coop hung over the ground so the chickens can’t get in but they have a common area where they feed and just roam around
they didnt likr each other at first but now they have been living in peace together for the past year
my 11 months old rooster has been becoming very aggressive lately he’s been attacking the chickens sometimes and everytime he sees a pigeon he runs to peck it and i often get a fair share when he decides to start fighting me and he can cause some damage
today i found him pecking aggressively at one of the pigeons till he literally killed it i just saw him fighting a dead pigeon body and eating it
should i just slaughter the guy ?
Chickens see pigeons as competition. A lot of hens will attack pigeons if they come near their food and water so this isn't just a bad tempered rooster issue.
He's doing what a good rooster should. Seems a bit harsh to kill him for doing his job.
How you resolve the issue is rather more complex. Is there anyway to seperate the two species?

Back
Top Bottom