Have you checked your other chickens yet for the start of anything similar? What does his feet look like? I could be VERY far off, but in all the pictures I saw what appeared to be Foot Parasite, though that usually goes after the webbing in a chicken's foot. It simply barrows into the foot webbing up into the leg. Perhaps this is what it is? If it is, it's spreadable, so treat it as a disease and try to prevent spread. Again. I could be very far off! Hope he heals. :hugs :hugs

Have you checked your other chickens yet for the start of anything similar? What does his feet look like? I could be VERY far off, but in all the pictures I saw what appeared to be Foot Parasite, though that usually goes after the webbing in a chicken's foot. It simply barrows into the foot webbing up into the leg. Perhaps this is what it is? If it is, it's spreadable, so treat it as a disease and try to prevent spread. Again. I could be very far off! Hope he heals. :hugs :hugs
What is "foot parasite" and how is it treated?

What is "foot parasite" and how is it treated?
Foot Parasite is something I discovered a while back. It's gray colored, and sometimes will harden like a rock, but isn't a rock. So far from my studies, I've only seen it in the webbing of a chicken's foot and it barrows up into the leg. On the top of the chicken's foot webbing, it looks like a bubble, and possibly like it's Bumble Foot, but it's not. To treat it, I use tweezers to first remove it, and hopefully in one piece. Next I would pour Peroxide into the whole. This worked on a mild case, but on a worst case, the whole doesn't appear to have a bottom, and the Foot Parasite came back. I don't know if that's what it is actually called, but in my research, I couldn't find anything that matched it.

Foot Parasite is something I discovered a while back. It's gray colored, and sometimes will harden like a rock, but isn't a rock. So far from my studies, I've only seen it in the webbing of a chicken's foot and it barrows up into the leg. On the top of the chicken's foot webbing, it looks like a bubble, and possibly like it's Bumble Foot, but it's not. To treat it, I use tweezers to first remove it, and hopefully in one piece. Next I would pour Peroxide into the whole. This worked on a mild case, but on a worst case, the whole doesn't appear to have a bottom, and the Foot Parasite came back. I don't know if that's what it is actually called, but in my research, I couldn't find anything that matched it.
That's interesting. I've never heard of it. Did you have a thread where you treated your chicken? (with photos too :) ) I'd like to learn more about that!

That's interesting. I've never heard of it. Did you have a thread where you treated your chicken? (with photos too :) ) I'd like to learn more about that!
No. I didn't. I discovered it before I even heard of BYC, so I did what I felt was right. Then on my latest case, I just did what I did before. I was able to catch it early because I've been trying to watch for any signs of Bumble Foot, or anything that could turn into Bumble Foot because if any of my hens get that, I want to catch it early. Also, as far as I know, I don't have any pictures. Sorry about that. :(

No. I didn't. I discovered it before I even heard of BYC, so I did what I felt was right. Then on my latest case, I just did what I did before. I was able to catch it early because I've been trying to watch for any signs of Bumble Foot, or anything that could turn into Bumble Foot because if any of my hens get that, I want to catch it early. Also, as far as I know, I don't have any pictures. Sorry about that. :(
That's ok. If you ever have that happen again, please do get some photos and let me know, I'm always interested in seeing and learning something new!

That's ok. If you ever have that happen again, please do get some photos and let me know, I'm always interested in seeing and learning something new!
Ok! I'll try to remember! :D Just hoping that it doesn't come back on any of my hens though.....

Back
Top Bottom