Rooster mating before first egg

SA gardener

Songster
May 23, 2020
Johannesburg, South Africa
My Australorps are currently more than 28 weeks old, no eggs yet šŸ˜µ. However of the 3 hens , 1 hens comb is becoming bright pink (not red) and is not squatting and another one is squatting but her comb is not becoming any redder/pinker.
Do pullets combs have to be fully reddened before laying or ...?
And what about squatting ?
Strange thing is that the rooster mates everyday with the hen with the bright pink comb but when he attempts to mount the other hens they screech and run off

Last edited:
Roosters mature faster than hens do, generally, so it is common for them to begin their mating attempts before the hens are ready. My guess is that the reddening of the comb and the squatting varies a bit between individuals. Photos would be helpful.

Roosters mature faster than hens do, generally, so it is common for them to begin their mating attempts before the hens are ready. My guess is that the reddening of the comb and the squatting varies a bit between individuals. Photos would be helpful.

i have a 10 week old bantam brahma roo that has tried to mount one of my pullets a couple of times,

IMG_20200809_083449.jpg
IMG_20200809_083407.jpg
IMG_20200809_084246.jpg

1- Hen that squats but without reddening comb
2- Hen that has comb that has become bright pink, hasn't squatted yet
3 - Third hen, same age as the other 2 , poor comb development, had bubbles in its eye mid winter which hindered it's vision but now bubbles have disappeared, bad genetics (I assume )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom