stormie000

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone! I received 6 baby chicks several months ago from a coworker who got them from a feed store, sold to her as "female Americanas". I'm now understanding that these are Easter Eggers and am afraid one of them may not be a hen! Hoping someone can give me a for sure answer on this (they're about 10 weeks now) and some advice on keeping/rehoming her(him :(!)

I also have a hen with a pretty severe scissor beak. She eats and drinks fine and I give her plain coconut nondairy yogurt mixed with her crumbles every couple days but she has a lot of problems picking up bugs and other things from the ground. Does anyone have some advice as to how I can possibly trim her beak or anything else to help her? I've posted some picks of both chicks below

Flower (Floyd???) 1st pic

Sizzy Girl 2nd pic

IMG_2305.jpeg
IMG_2309.jpeg

Welcome!
Your cockerel is very handsome, hope he's being a good boy!
Managing cross beaked birds is difficult. You can try to trim her beak a bit at intervals, although nothing will make it okay. usually they do get worse over time. She needs a very deep dish of crumbles, and a deeper water dish, at all times. She won't be able to pick things off the ground, ever. It's difficult to keep these birds fed adequately, so be sure to work at making her life as easy as possible.
When she is laying eggs, her nutritional needs are much greater, and it' is hard for her to keep up.
Don't let her starve! Monitor her body condition, and act to end suffering when it's necessary. And, don't hatch any of her eggs.
Mary

Your Floyd is a gorgeous little cockerel. Are you gonna try to keep him?
And I honestly don't know how to treat cross beak, I've never experienced it so I'm absolutely no help there. :confused:

There's a youtube channel called A Chick Called Albert (or is it Name Albert? I forget) you can look up (I can't right now, on work computer). He did a video a couple of months ago about a little rooster he had with scissor beak. He was able to trim the beak down with an electric dog nail trimmer. It's a cute little video if you decide to watch it

The first pic sure looks like a little Roo.
I've had a few chicks with mild cases of scissor break but nothing like this. If the poor girl is eating and not getting skinny, I say let her enjoy her life. I'd give her an extra deep bowl for water and feed and try to make the poor girls life as easy as I could.

There's a youtube channel called A Chick Called Albert (or is it Name Albert? I forget) you can look up (I can't right now, on work computer). He did a video a couple of months ago about a little rooster he had with scissor beak. He was able to trim the beak down with an electric dog nail trimmer. It's a cute little video if you decide to watch it
Thanks so much for the suggestion!! What a great video..very inspiring and helpful!

Your Floyd is a gorgeous little cockerel. Are you gonna try to keep him?
And I honestly don't know how to treat cross beak, I've never experienced it so I'm absolutely no help there. :confused:
He is beautiful! I have grown very attached to him so I would hate to get rid of him..but I have never had a rooster and also have a 4 year old who loves to help with the chickens. They are in a large run but I also only have 5 pullets so I'm worried about their health as well with the rooster.

Hi everyone! I received 6 baby chicks several months ago from a coworker who got them from a feed store, sold to her as "female Americanas". I'm now understanding that these are Easter Eggers and am afraid one of them may not be a hen! Hoping someone can give me a for sure answer on this (they're about 10 weeks now) and some advice on keeping/rehoming her(him :(!)

I also have a hen with a pretty severe scissor beak. She eats and drinks fine and I give her plain coconut nondairy yogurt mixed with her crumbles every couple days but she has a lot of problems picking up bugs and other things from the ground. Does anyone have some advice as to how I can possibly trim her beak or anything else to help her? I've posted some picks of both chicks below

Flower (Floyd???) 1st pic

Sizzy Girl 2nd pic

View attachment 1861515 View attachment 1861516
A chick called Albert had to deal with this once. Here's the vid:

He is beautiful! I have grown very attached to him so I would hate to get rid of him..but I have never had a rooster and also have a 4 year old who loves to help with the chickens. They are in a large run but I also only have 5 pullets so I'm worried about their health as well with the rooster.
If you do keep him, here's some behaviors to watch out for:
Screenshot_20190730-121049.jpg
Screenshot_20190730-122757~2.jpg
If he flares his hackles (neck feathers) at you, that's a definite sign of aggression.
Screenshot_20190730-113552.jpg
Screenshot_20190730-122810~2.jpg
Screenshot_20190730-121106.jpg
Screenshot_20190730-121144~2.jpg
Screenshot_20190730-113407~2.jpg
The above pictures show cockerels and roosters in an aggressive stance. Notice how one shoulder is down and the angle of the tail.
Screenshot_20190730-122744~2.jpg
Screenshot_20190730-122413~2.jpg
Screenshot_20190730-123048~2.jpg
Above are a few examples of a friendly, non-aggressive stance.
If your cockerel wing shuffles over to you, watch him closely. This behavior is most commonly done by aggressive roos, but one of my friendly roos does it as well.

Hello. You have some very nice looking EEs. I also was given a cross beak, but mine was a baby (well still is lol) she is very happy and thriving everyday. I have had her trimmed at the vet one and have trimmed her beak twice myself. She eats dry chick crumble just fine but LOVES when I make it mash. Best of luck with your new flock!
IMG_20190727_120221715.jpg

Beaker enjoying the sun shine!!!

Back
Top Bottom