Roosters

madmantrapper

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Maryland
How many of you folks do without roosters? I have two and am thinking of getting rid of both. They are beautiful birds but they are attacking me and my sons regularly. It doesn't bother us much but I have a three year old granddaughter living with us and I would hate to see her get attacked and become afraid of the chickens. Also the birds attack at waist level on me which is over her head. What would you folks do?

I have fourteen, and they are all gentle, easily picked up, walked past, tolerate having their backs stroked but don't like it. There are good roosters out there. Only have good roosters. A good rooster will barely register on your radar except as you say, very beautiful, and just another nice piece of the whole picture. What breed do you have? That could make a difference.

I had Rhode Island red roosters, and they would shred my pants and Cut the kids legs. Just get rid of those and buy some nice ones..
smile.png

I have a great rooster, he is young, handsome and learning to take after his ladies. He shares his food with them and about half the eggs we crack open are fertilized.

He is not aggressive and I would not keep an aggressive rooster. If he came at me more than once, he would be a stew Rooster, especially with kids around.

Don't feel bad about getting rid of them, aggression is something we shouldn't tolerate in our critters, no matter what.

There are so very many roosters available that I wouldn't waste a moment with an unpredictable or aggressive one. Especially with small children involved. Roosters are nice to have, but aren't necessary for a backyard flock of laying hens. Send these guys to The Other Side of the Road ASAP and either find a mannerly one or do without.

Production birds are bred for production first, personality last. I would say get rid of him and if you want a rooster around, post on the "Wanted" board for a gentle rooster within your X amt of miles from your house, and you will probably get multiple offers of gentle roos you could choose from, for free or five or ten dollars only. Just pick the one you like best. If you can't eat your own roosters, offer them on craigslist for $5 apiece and see if you get any takers. Sorry you had to learn this lesson. We all had the same lesson, unless we lucked out and got a good roo first off the bat.

Unless you want to hatch your eggs, you do not have to have roosters. The hens will adapt quite well. I personally would get rid of the roosters you have, especially with the three year old. A rooster could scar her for life, physically as well as emotionally. If you want a rooster, I'd try Craigslist as suggested by others or see if you can hang an add in your feed store.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom