Seabrights not laying

TomKat

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 23, 2009
Cool, CA (yes it's a town)
I am a newbie to chicken raising having my small flock for 3-4 weeks. We first adopted 3 banty seabright hens and 1 seabright rooster. We were told they were about 3 yrs old. They were on starter feed for the whole 3yrs. There was no nest boxes at their original home and the hens never laid eggs. Once we brought them home I put them on layer feed, and we have nest boxes in the coop. No eggs. About 10 days ago we adopted 5 more banty hens (2 cochins and 3 frizzles). I am getting about 3 eggs every two days from the most recent adoptees. I was hoping maybe this would induce the seabrights to lay as well, but so far not. The seabrights check out the eggs but don't appear to display any egg laying behavior themselves. I know seabrights are not high producers but shouldn't I get something? Did the 3yrs on starter feed prevent them from becoming layers? I've tried the golf balls in the nest boxes, but that only encourages the one frizzle to try to hatch the golf ball. Any advise on convincing my other girls to lay would be much appreciated. (Waiting to see what comes out of a hatched golf ball.)

Back
Top Bottom