Severe dog attack

1jst4fun

Hatching
Apr 3, 2017
My neighbors a few houses down brought me this hen just over 3 weeks ago after their dog got a hold of it, ripping out all feathers and muscle from under the left wing and back. I really thought she would die that first night, as the wounds were horrific and the left lung could be seen as she breathed. I have been bandaging, cleaning, and conservatively removing necrotic tissue when necessary. She is recovering nicely, has good appetite, and has regained full use of the left leg which was also injured in the attack. The silver sulfazadine cream I have been using has taken care of the infection and the remaining skin has thickened and is granulating in. She is even growing feathers on her back. My concern is for the dark ridge of tissue just under the wing attachment which is hard and nearly black. Anyone have experience with this level of wound care on a chicken? I am debating the need to soften that dark ridge of tissue and debride/remove it.

Welcome to BYC. You have really done a great job taking care of her. It is remarkable to see how chickens can recover from horrific wounds sometimes. The black necrotic tissue should be debrided if possible. I would try soaking her in bath with chlorhexidene and water or similar. The soak will soften it, and you will need to gently scrub the black skin until it bleeds slightly. Or soak just the wound with Epsom salt water, and remove the dead skin with tweezers. It may take a couple of treatments. The burn cream seems to have worked well. I had a chicken attacked in our driveway a couple of years ago, and she recovered nicely from her injuries. I didn't have to do the intense wound care you are doing though. Her wounds were not as deep or wide, although she had been skinned and had punctures, and was lame for awhile. Let us know how she progresses.

Thank you. I will find an extra set of hands and do that.
Everything I am reading here days to leave the wounds open to air. I bandaged because all layers of tissue were gone, right down to the bone. Now that the skin over the bone is thickening, should I leave it open to air? I am concerned that she will peck open the fragile, healing skin and cause infection again. She goes right at it each time I do a bandage change.

You might try making her a one piece hen saddle out of TShirt material. I have a lot of those bandanas that you can tie around your neck. Those could be lightly tied around her wounds to keep her from pecking. Maybe tie around her neck and then under her belly, where the legs will keep it in place? Most people put plain neosporin ointment on the wounds and they fill in nicely without a bandage. Preening is just something they do all day long, so you just have to try something and see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom