Was her toes like that before she got injured?
I’m not blaming if you don’t look at that.
It’s just sometimes poultry has this thing where there toes are all crooked, it’s completely fine, it’s just a “deformity” it won’t harm the chicken/turkey.
I wouldnt know. She is one of this years babies on the ranch where I live. Its not my ranch I rent a small house on the property.

You are a good tenant. Truly!!

Because the landlord/turkey's owner already gave you permission, I would try not to sweat the situation, though. Just take it one day at a time... if there is an issue, it's the landlord's responsibility to approach you respectfully at this point. I don't see how stressing over it can or will change anything. I don't think you are pushing your luck or anything like that. And for sure don't be in a hurry to kick the turkey back in with her flock sooner than you feel is right because of a nonexistent landlord issue!
I wont turn her loose too soon. Id like her to jave a decent chance at a life.
I like to be in good standing wirh my landlords, less stress in general that way. So far so good though :)

When splinting a bone, if the fracture is not reduced with good placement of bones, the fractured bone can heal crooked. Most of us cannot afford vets and xrays for poultry, but that is the best way to deal with a fracture. There can be nerve damage and complications with open fractures as well. You are to be commended for trying to save this turkey. Will she be a pet in the future? I agree that she might have had crooked toes before, or it could have ocurred with the fracture. Giving her a 1/2 of a crushed B complex tablet could help if it is riboflavin deficiency, and can help her overall.
I stated from the start to the lanlord/rancher that I would return this turkeu to the flock. However I did say if the flock renects her and tries to kill her again that the turkey can hang out in the porch lol and I would look after her and feed her.
If she makes it and survives until I buy my own property I just may take her with me. :)

I wont turn her loose too soon. Id like her to jave a decent chance at a life.
I like to be in good standing wirh my landlords, less stress in general that way. So far so good though :)
It may be worthwhile for you to have a longer conversation with your landlord about the situation. I suspect their "no birds" rule is a biosecurity measure. If you are taking care of their birds, there is no breach of biosecurity. A simple offer to take care of any birds that need some extra help may just benefit you and your landlord. I would not be surprised at all if they let you start your own flock from their misfits.

Giving her a 1/2 of a crushed B complex tablet could help if it is riboflavin deficiency, and can help her overall.
This needs to be dissolved in a gallon of water and also needs to be made fresh daily. It is the thiamine and niacin in a B complex capsule/pill that turkeys need especially at a young age. The thiamine and niacin help in good bone growth and strong leg development.

It may be worthwhile for you to have a longer conversation with your landlord about the situation. I suspect their "no birds" rule is a biosecurity measure. If you are taking care of their birds, there is no breach of biosecurity. A simple offer to take care of any birds that need some extra help may just benefit you and your landlord. I would not be surprised at all if they let you start your own flock from their misfits.
That sounds very nice :)
I am going to look into it

Back
Top Bottom