Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I can tag you to my posts if you would like. I have been doing that for others if I can remember. Just let me know.
That would be helpful Bob. I will time permitting go back as far as I can because I'm sure I've missed a lot, not just your posts but also others I like to read.

Mine all do love carrots, whole and raw, grated or chopped up and raw or cooked or even made into Moro's carrot soup.

But they start eating carrots from the early age of two weeks and that might make all the difference.
Mine like the feathery green carrot tops, so I grow them out from the top of the carrot for them.
I am willing to modify my life for the sake of my princesses, but I refuse to give up eating carrots personally. So that is the best we have managed to figure out so far.
We have completely failed to come to an accommodation on the topic of leeks which I also refuse to give up and which they despise.
:lau

I had Mr. Bumble inside so I could more easily keep an eye on him. Plus it was convenient to just be able to scoop him up right there to feed him.
I think convenience is often the rational behind the islolate advice. But if this convenience for the keeper slows down recovery and may even cause other stress related problems then it would seem in many instaces, counterproductive.

A few pics of Mr. Bumble right before he led the flock into the coop for bed. His dirty beak incidates he was having fun digging around in the soil. I checked his crop, and it was full. I did not feed him at all today.View attachment 2986757View attachment 2986758View attachment 2986759View attachment 2986768
He's a friendly looking chap. His top beak is overgrown though. You might consider filing a very very small amount off every couple of days. Beaks can be reshaped with care and patience without causing major distress to the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom