Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Scott- don't you tempt me!!!!! Those could easily be my next addiction. . . . .how pretty!!!! I really like splash the more I see it. Your dark blue hen looks really nice.

Chksonrun (sorry if I mispelled) I have one total sweetheart Del roo, one that is a little feisty, but I can keep him in his place. Of my culls, two were sweehearts, one was fine with me but nasty to the hens. I think it depends on the roo. They are mouthy, they like to grab your clothing, but the hens I have are lap sitters and all but one are fairly quiet.

Cynthia, Cetawin is going to need a spa package!!! At least she is about half way there, right?

Kathy!!!! Great article!!! Harriet did a really nice job- Good for you!!! And good for BYC!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Yard full o' rocks :

The one on the right is blue. She never grew any lacing in, so her and her sister (that was like her) were sold. I kept the two darkest, best blue laced hens, one of which is in the foreground of the picture.

Ya know, I have some Jersey Giants that are a light blue with poor lacing. I put them in the cull pen. Is that the right way? I just did it because I like the darker blue better. I like the nice dark lacing!​

Just got home, unfortunately I haven't taken a nap yet.
tongue.png
I was hoping to get back and find the little Delaware who had been pipping out of his egg, he was still trying though. The little guy was kicking and peeping like crazy trying to get out of the egg shell. I think it may have something to do with the way that he was curled up inside, his head was kind of tucked towards his tummy and it didn't look like he could reach up enough to break through the shell. Well I couldn't wait any longer, he had been pipping for 2 days now, so I decided to help.

I pulled him out of the bator and sprayed his eggshell with some warm water to keep him moist, he really started kicking and peeping then! I started to remove the pieces of eggshell that he had broken up, I moved a piece away from his eye and he looked right up at me! Then I got scared. I didn't want to hurt him, I've read horror stories of people helping their chicks out of the egg only to end up with a dead baby.
sad.png
So I lost my nerve and put him back in the bator, adding some water to keep the humidity up. Well he just kept kicking and rocking, he couldn't get out. I couldn't just let him cry in the egg, it was killing me! So I took him out one more time and this time gently pulled from either end of the egg, a couple of gentle tugs later and he popped right out into my hand! He looks okay to me, there was no blood on him or on the inside of the eggshell, he's a little wobbly and it looks as if being scrunched up in the egg might have taken it's toll on him a bit, he's all hunched over, but he seems to be doing okay so far...
fl.gif

Here's the little guy,

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

The egg he hatched from,

IMG_1693.jpg

I'm still really nervous, I've gone and check on him 3 times while trying to finish this post. His abdomen looks a little bloated, I'm wondering if there is an issue with him absorbing the yolk? I don't know, but I want this baby to make it so bad! I'm gonna give him a special name if he does, any suggestions?

Now it's time for a nap.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom