Sicilian Buttercups- Bantam, Large fowl?

Debbienmousey

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Washington, Georgia, USA
I have a trio of Buttercups that I purchased from TSC a year ago and I love them. I must say, we bought them thinking they were going to be Ameraucanas (their coloring and their legs resembled some Ameraucanas we'd bought from McMurray before). While we were slightly disappointed that they weren't going to lay blue eggs for us, we like them just as much as if they had turned out to be Ameraucanas. Anyway, they're kinda small. Currently I keep them penned with my Silkies and they get along fine. I'm looking to buy more Buttercups now and I was going to make a poster to put up at the feed store, so I decided to look up a little more info about them relating to the Standard. (I've already researched them since I've had them, but I wanted to refresh my memory). Several sites mention both bantam and standard/large fowl Buttercups. Mine are -definitely- not large fowl, yet while they are small they're not itty-bitty and probably -could- be kept with my other birds.

So my question is: According to the Standard, are there both bantam and "standard" or large fowl Sicilian Buttercups?

yes and the standards aren't very big birds so that's probably what you have. standards weigh from 4 lbs for pullets to 6 1/2 lbs for cocks. bantams weigh from 20 oz to 26 oz. I hope that helps

Thank you Timmy!
smile.png

I am not aware of any bantam Buttercups in the states although there may be a few breeders they certainly aren't readily available. I'm sure you have the large fowl. Especially coming from a hatchery.

You can compare yours to my old breeders for a comparison.

Here you can see the height against the fence. Each little box is 2" wide by 4" tall. That puts Aragorn at just over 16" tall there including his comb. And he was standing up very tall there.

AragornandArwen.jpg

Group shot; they are really not very big.

SicilianButtercupFlock.jpg

The feed store down the road from my house has a shipment of Buttercup pullets coming in on friday...I was thinking about getting some....want me to pick you up a few too?
wink.png
big_smile.png

Thanks Chickndaddy for the info and pics. I figured I probably had the standard ones. Today I am going out so I'll put up the posters. I doubt if anyone has any around here but you never know.

Quote:
Hehe, thanks for the offer! You should get some. Despite what some people may say, mine are very curious and friendly (they don't necessarily like to be held anymore though, but when they were younger my sister and I used to have them jump onto our arms and sit there. Or follow us around outside the brooder. But they'll come right up to me now and eat food out of my hand) And my 3 are kept in a roomy pen and they do fine. I'm sure they'd love to be out free ranging and I might try free ranging them (or some of their offspring) later this year.

I have a Buttercup hen that's about 8 weeks old and I lover her!! She's just got little "horns" sticking up right now, and has had them for several weeks. I'm just curious about when her comb might come in fully. Can anyone tell me?

I think Sicilian Buttercups are so gorgeous as adults! But I am mildly apprehensive about shyness & them not doing well in confinement. The run on our coop isn't small, but it's not huge either. We have a few other chicks at the moment, so if I were to integrate a few lovely buttercups, now would be the time! I have until tomorrow to think it over!
big_smile.png

We do have Sicilian Buttercup Bantams here in the US but very few. Limited gene pool. There was a breeder one time in MI that had a flock of them, selling the eggs on Ebay and Eggbid.

Back
Top Bottom