xograce

Hatching
Dec 19, 2018
Hey everyone!!

I have had my silkies for about 5 months and raised them since they were 1 week old chicks. I have two roosters who get along very well and five hens. Recently I have been letting them roam around my yard and there have been no problems... Aside from my splash rooster attacking me every time I come out of the back door! He jumps at my legs and stomps his feet at me, but doesn't raise his hackles or continue this behavior for longer than thirty seconds. Is there a way I can correct it or is it something I'll always have to put up with? He doesn't injure me at all, it's just a big scare and an inconvenience!

Thank you much!

Young roosters attacking people isn't typical behaviors. None of my roosters ever come at me ever. I don't handle and pet them. I raise multiple roosters a year. They grow up with a healthy respect of me. A rooster who attacks see humans as part of the pecking order to be conquered and controlled, generally because he was handled as a chick.

Hey everyone!!

I have had my silkies for about 5 months and raised them since they were 1 week old chicks. I have two roosters who get along very well and five hens. Recently I have been letting them roam around my yard and there have been no problems... Aside from my splash rooster attacking me every time I come out of the back door! He jumps at my legs and stomps his feet at me, but doesn't raise his hackles or continue this behavior for longer than thirty seconds. Is there a way I can correct it or is it something I'll always have to put up with? He doesn't injure me at all, it's just a big scare and an inconvenience!

Thank you much!
From your description I think you'll find your rooster believes he's having sex with the top hen which apparently is you.
It's not aggressive behavior and your other rooster had probably monopolized the hens.
He will grow out of this stage. One way to accelerate this is to get him some hens.
Please don't pay any attention to the 'kill the aggressive rooster' brigade.
He can't help it. He's doing what comes naturally and you it seems is all he's got!
If a rooster flogs you, or raises his hackles and attacks then maybe you have problems.
This guy is just trying to mate.

It works a bit like this.
If you’ve brought this little chap up, fed him, given him cuddles, told him what a handsome chap he is and also been the flock boss and main provider then the poor chap has imprinted you as mum; to some degree at least.
Often, the first female a young cockerel tries to mate with is his mother.
Most of the young cockerels here try it on with mum first. They usually get the chicken equivalent of a clout around the ear. Some, when they get big enough and confident enough form a partnership with their mother if their father is no longer in the flock. I have had a number of groups where this has happened. Chickens see this as perfectly natural. Mum after all has a proven track record.
The cockerel behavior is often to grab a bit of trouser leg and try to mount whatever footwear you’re wearing. It’s over pretty quickly and the poor chap goes away happy at least. It takes a while for him to realize that something isn’t quite right and to transfer his ‘affections’ to a more appropriate creature. Dogs for example are also prone to this; the tales of dogs wrapping themselves around a humans leg are rather common.
He can’t help it and you’ve helped to create this situation.
I’m male and I get this from cockerels I’ve brought up when their parents have been predated. I find it a bit endearing, but I know it won’t last for long and eventually I’ll get dumped for a proper hen.

You need to come outside with a tool like a fishing net where you can scoop him up, and basically annoy and scare him. Eventually he should run the other way, and hopefully knocks it off totally before it becomes a bad habit.

Ive raised quite a few friendly cockerels and roosters. The only mean rooster ive ever had was a silkie, and I have no clue why. With that said, seems like if hes not attacking you, it should be ok. He may be mistaking you for a predator when you come into view, then he notices its you, and lets off. How long has the splash silkie been doing this for? Is it new behavior? He may just be getting used to seeing you come out the back door...

Back
Top Bottom