Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

I never thought of that!! Wow, I bet you're right as neither paint nor partridge fits! I could just write her and ask, but I'm too embarrassed lol. I ordered buffs, and got all the rest, gladly!
She might have them listed on her page, now u have to go look!

Edit - I meant "I" not sure how u got in there, sorry!

Last edited:
I think entrusting someone to hatch eggs from your flock is the poultry equivalent of allowing someone to ride your motorcycle. Maybe not the same stakes, but the same sentiment.
I hatched duck eggs from one neighbor, for the other, and I got nothing but satisfaction. ☺️ The ones they were hatched for are a pair of medical doctors so even though they're like nearly 1/2 mile away, it's nice to know if there's ever some medical emergency down here, they'll say, "Hey, that's the neighbor that hatched duck eggs for us, let's help her." :gig

Community matters! Neighbours that hatch together stay together;)
I hatched duck eggs from one neighbor, for the other, and I got nothing but satisfaction. ☺️ The ones they were hatched for are a pair of medical doctors so even though they're like nearly 1/2 mile away, it's nice to know if there's ever some medical emergency down here, they'll say, "Hey, that's the neighbor that hatched duck eggs for us, let's help her." :gig

True! I met my new neighbor who thankfully was a vet, about a week after they moved in I had a mare colic'ing, I made the walk on down the road and introduced myself. Thankfully he was super kind and came and gave her a shot.

A year or two later I had a cat that went missing, when I found it, he was in pretty bad shape, he had a massive abscess and a wound down his leg. Had to walk down to the neighbor's again... his horse had just wrecked his saddle that night, ripped it up pretty good, so he fixed up my cat and I repaired his saddle. He performed the surgery in my leather shop. I had some old kitchen cabinets with a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered by a 4x8 sheet of thick polycarbonate, I sanitized that and viola, medical table.

True! I met my new neighbor who thankfully was a vet, about a week after they moved in I had a mare colic'ing, I made the walk on down the road and introduced myself. Thankfully he was super kind and came and gave her a shot.

A year or two later I had a cat that went missing, when I found it, he was in pretty bad shape, he had a massive abscess and a wound down his leg. Had to walk down to the neighbor's again... his horse had just wrecked his saddle that night, ripped it up pretty good, so he fixed up my cat and I repaired his saddle. He performed the surgery in my leather shop. I had some old kitchen cabinets with a 4x8 sheet of plywood covered by a 4x8 sheet of thick polycarbonate, I sanitized that and viola, medical table.
I don't recall having any animals get injured despite my satin black hen I saw one day with one of her toes just hanging there. I ran her over to the farmer neighbor's house to have her just snip it off. She said, nah, leave it be. It'll fall off itself and then you don't have to worry so much about infection. She was right.

But she's no vet. She's a retired ICE (immigration) supervisor who has horses, ducks, geese, chickens, 3 dogs, and donkeys, all of which I take care of the two times she's left town for some reason. Ironically, I type immigration hearings.

What are the odds that a retired ICE agent would buy the farm across the road three years after we bought ours, and we both work(ed) for the same place (Dept of Justice). We just stared at each other the day we met and discussed, "so what do you do for a living."

I don't recall having any animals get injured despite my satin black hen I saw one day with one of her toes just hanging there. I ran her over to the farmer neighbor's house to have her just snip it off. She said, nah, leave it be. It'll fall off itself and then you don't have to worry so much about infection. She was right.

But she's no vet. She's a retired ICE (immigration) supervisor who has horses, ducks, geese, chickens, 3 dogs, and donkeys, all of which I take care of the two times she's left town for some reason. Ironically, I type immigration hearings.

What are the odds that a retired ICE agent would buy the farm across the road three years after we bought ours, and we both work(ed) for the same place (Dept of Justice). We just stared at each other the day we met and discussed, "so what do you do for a living."
:eek: an animals ability to heal is so amazing!

Wow, yall have a lot in common and to end up neighbors, that's cool 😃

Once I get a silkie rooster I'm hopefully going to breed him to some big Cornish Cross girls or big Cochin girls. So far my 5 little silkies are all acting like roosters wanting to control the brooder and they are doing a pretty good job of it. Just maybe some will be bossy pullets. We are not going to have to work outside tomorrow and may can get some new pictures of the rowdy kids. They do like to run like a greyhound.

Once I get a silkie rooster I'm hopefully going to breed him to some big Cornish Cross girls or big Cochin girls. So far my 5 little silkies are all acting like roosters wanting to control the brooder and they are doing a pretty good job of it. Just maybe some will be bossy pullets. We are not going to have to work outside tomorrow and may can get some new pictures of the rowdy kids. They do like to run like a greyhound.
I think that's pretty normal. I've never had what I'd call a quiet, calm, silkie chick lol.

It was 54 yesterday so mine I put outside in a puppy pen in the sun. I kept checking on them but they were never looking cold until the sun went down, then they all huddled up so we brought them back in. Today, it's supposed to be exactly the same, so they'll go out again.

Back
Top Bottom