Sit'n on the porch

Pics
When the hens get super poopy butt, it really helps - I never want the hens to get fly strike. sometimes I just do the hiney. So far this flock has done well, the 1yr olds have never had a bath.
I did not wash a leghorn until Daisy, the greatest hen ever, was suffering from salpingitis. Then she needed help. :(

20171025_180446.jpg

When the hens get super poopy butt, it really helps - I never want the hens to get fly strike. sometimes I just do the hiney. So far this flock has done well, the 1yr olds have never had a bath.
I've given mine baths, but just leg baths with epsom salt water for scaly leg mites (Tillie the white leghorn did not appreciate being gently lowered into said bath, so she just jumped out of my arms and soaked her whole lower half instead)

So I looked out the kitchen window, its only 11:30 and all of the flock is either in a Prayer meeting or taking an early nap.

IMG_0296.JPG

I tried to quietly go out on the porch and take a pic.... but there is no sneaking up on Bob. His head popped up.

But, I noticed from the kitchen window, Bob was yawing-then shook his head. I am going to have to corner him in the coop and look him over.
I noticed for the first time, maybe in Nov. he had yellow stuff on his lobes. I thought, boy you had better not be an egg eater! I went and looked and all of the eggs were there, so I just figured it was how is is suppose to be.
Then in march I saw it again and this time I caught him and looked. He had an ear full of gunk. So I flicked it out, gave it a little rub ( he liked it) flicked more out, did the other ear and went to Google. So, chickens can get ear infections. the build up is called an ear canker. So. I BYC looked it up and found @dawg53 and the state poultry web site ( they said the same thing) had a good report.

IMG_0189.JPG

I just used Q-Tips and peroxide everyday to flush out his ears until there was no more gunk, the swelling went down and everything cleared up. Thanks @dawg53 .

But I am still going to catch him and just double check to confirm he is still fine.

So I looked out the kitchen window, its only 11:30 and all of the flock is either in a Prayer meeting or taking an early nap.

View attachment 2638222

I tried to quietly go out on the porch and take a pic.... but there is no sneaking up on Bob. His head popped up.

But, I noticed from the kitchen window, Bob was yawing-then shook his head. I am going to have to corner him in the coop and look him over.
I noticed for the first time, maybe in Nov. he had yellow stuff on his lobes. I thought, boy you had better not be an egg eater! I went and looked and all of the eggs were there, so I just figured it was how is is suppose to be.
Then in march I saw it again and this time I caught him and looked. He had an ear full of gunk. So I flicked it out, gave it a little rub ( he liked it) flicked more out, did the other ear and went to Google. So, chickens can get ear infections. the build up is called an ear canker. So. I BYC looked it up and found @dawg53 and the state poultry web site ( they said the same thing) had a good report.

View attachment 2638228

I just used Q-Tips and peroxide everyday to flush out his ears until there was no more gunk, the swelling went down and everything cleared up. Thanks @dawg53 .

But I am still going to catch him and just double check to confirm he is still fine.
This is very helpful to know. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to link this on my thread if that is OK?

looking at him calling in the sunshine, I just want to pack up and move somewhere that I can have a rooster... all these silly bylaws about noise! I have frogs mating all night for weeks in the spring, in the marshland across the street and just past the little forest barrier (that hopefully confuses or slows down the mosquitoes). I keep expecting the frogs to get slapped with a fine for all that NOISE they make when they sing their little love songs.

Back
Top Bottom