Skinny chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SugarChick, Nov 8, 2018.

1. SugarChick

SugarChick Songster

May 1, 2018
    Hawaii
    My hens are really thin. They were from rural chickens so that does explain it. I live in Hawaii we’re they are everywhere. One day I caught some and my flock has grown. I feed them layer pellets and they free range all day. What else can I give them. I was thinking cracked corn and scratch?:hmm

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Scratch usually contains a large percentage of cracked corn. It should allow some weight gain in your chickens. Also try giving a wild bird seed mixture to diversify the nutritional intake. Not sure what kind is available in Hawaii.??? I substitute wild bird seed for scratch regularly. I also have on hand large quantities of those since I regularly feed wild songbirds during 3 seasons. (summer I let them find their own seeds and insects)
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

DobieLover and SugarChick like this.
  3. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Have you had fecal floats done to see if they have an internal parasite burden that could be keeping them from putting on weight well?
    I too am working on building up some very underweight chickens.
    I am giving them 2x/bird my fermented feed ration along with several drops of Poultry nutri-drench mixed in. I posted my first week results here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nd-into-featherweight-1st-data-point.1280021/
    They are gaining weight nicely.

cavemanrich likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: