Some of babies fluffing up

Ok, then, that's what they should be on for cocci. The trouble is that if they're already fluffing up like that, plus bloody poop, it's rather advanced and there is more intestinal damage than if you'd seen it sooner-sometimes the signs are hard to catch, though. Get the probiotics or plain yogurt for them. That does seem to help. Farmers used to add nonfat dry milk powder to their starter crumble during an outbreak of cocci to help get them through it, though normally, chickens are not great with milk products other than yogurt with the good bacteria.

How can I make sure I won't get it again after I get everyone treated? Hoe many do you think I will lose all?

I would remove the chicks from where they are so they're not pooping the cocci into the adults' area.

Put them on Corid or Sulmet, make sure they are drinking it - the first time I had this, I had to syringe a few of the worst ones a couple times the first day to make sure they drank the medicine. Once they started to feel better, they drank on their own. It does no good if it doesn't get in their systems.

IF you are using Corid, AND the chicks have been drinking it the whole time, AND they are not better after the full five (six?) days of being on the medicine, then I would follow up with Sulmet for the full treatment. It is harder on their guts, so you'll need to give them yogurt a/o ACV once they're done with it, but it does work well and quickly.

It is important to keep their brooder clean while you are treating them so they don't reingest and keep getting sick. It can be a repeating cycle otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom