Some people just make you wonder .....

Quote:
Sure is, I buy locally from farmers and organic the rest of the time. I'm vegetarian so I do't have to worry about alot of the things omnis do.
And vegetarian nazis really tick me off too. My bf and I are the only veggies I really know and the ones I have met in the past were real pushy nazis. I don't give people flak for eating meat, so I don't think I should get flak for not doing it. I think the vegnazis are the main reason so many people are oppossed to vegetarianism. And uh, PETA too...I hate Peta.

And I can not tell you how I wish Atwoods and Tractor Supply had knowledgable staff, or even staff you could locate! Just because you wear boots and wranglers does not mean you know jack squat about chickens or rabbits!

I work at a petshop and it's amazing how many people buy animals that they have no idea how to take care of....Case in point.
"I need a plant"
Why
"for my wife's betta to eat the roots of"
they don't eat the plant
"yes they do"
Only if they're starving and you're not feeding him anything else
"he's been alive for a year"
so you've been starving a poor innocent fish for a year...that's lovely..here's what he's supposed to be eating.
good luck

"Can I have a goldfish and a bowl for him"
nope
"Why nOT?!"
Because he'll be dead.
"Why?"
Because they can grow to be a foot long and they need to have a filter.
"Why?"
Because they $h1+ like horses and mess up the water
"oh"

"Can I have some Nemofish?"
What kind of tank do you have?
"I have some guppies and an angel fish and an algae eater"
No, you can't have Clownfish in that tank
"Why not?"
Because it's a saltwater fish and he'll be dead.
"oh"

That's just on department I work in...oy...

I agree with your mom, Cara...I couldn't eat anything that I named either. LOL

If more people knew how good fresh eggs and veggies were, they be going nuts over them.

I'm looked down on in my suburban neighbourhood because I have a veggie garden...I don't do well, but I enjoy it anyways. These are the same people who do take out almost every night and buy a large coffee every morning.

I know I dont know nothing about chickens !! everytime I learn something new on BYC I feel so smart and than my girls go and do something totally diff. than what I learned
idunno.gif

I am not a huge meat eater - I do like a steak every once in awhile I dont eat hamburger, or pork , I do eat turkey meat and chicken ( just not the ones in my yard - they are my babies LOL )

I think the whole meat eater / non meat eater thing is fine either way with me. If someone came to my house for dinner that did not eat meat -no problem I'll just make ya a huge salad and some pasta !! come on over for dinner.

Julie

Quote:
Thank YOU~~~~~~ OMG that is exactly how most of the people I work with are!!! Being that I have worked there for a year..I am the first that has been able to help with any of those things!! now I don't wear wranglers, but my boots are a must!! LOL
lau.gif
In fact my previous manager only had managment experience from BLOCKBUSTER!!!! He knew NOTHING about anything farm related....not even a lantractor!!!! He had never even been around anything farm related.....Try asking him for help??!!!??? Now that's funny!!!

Yeah I hate it when I ask for help and wind up having to explain everything to them.
Like, hay...hey guess what, there are other types of hay than Alfalfa!
I have tried to get a job at Atwoods before (when unemployed) but I in no way look country or preppy so...I guess I just wasn't employable, no matter how many years of animal care I had under my belt.

My manager came from BestBuy so he thinks he knows critters and may have some, but he's more likely to tell you what you want to hear rather than the correct information. That is if you can find him on the floor. He's more likely talking on the phone in the office.

I think one rule for being hired to work at any TS or any agri. supply store should be that you live on a farm or raise some kind of farm animal. Also you should have to know what each type of feed is for and it's purpose. (laying feed, maintenance feed, starter feed, etc.)
It upsets me when you go to a place like this and they have know idea !

As far as difference in taste, I can't tell any diff. in fresh eggs. I can tell a BIG diff. in store bought and home grown eggs! Just the other day, my step daughter said she did not want to eat the eggs I collected from our hens. She was wanting 2 egg sandwiches. I fixed the 1st with a store bought egg and the 2nd with an egg I had collected the day before. She ate both , then I asked which was better? Her answer..........the 2nd one, what did you do different? I told her it was from our birds and she said, cool....!

I must admit, my first few eggs kinda made me nervous - cause you know - they didn't come in a carton! (and weren't graded or anything
gig.gif
)

My kids were FIGHTING over them, so I boiled them up and the kids gobbled them like candy - continued to fight over every egg....
FINALLY I ate one, and DANG it was pretty darn good!
I continued to boil the eggs, for some reason, actually OPENING and looking at them make me kinda nervous -
gig.gif
(city girl here)

Christmas was the first time, I cracked those eggs and actually LOOKED at them before cooking - and they tasted just as good..... I'm getting the hang of it!
gig.gif

Well, if there is such as thing as radar for the idiot employee, I have it!! I will invariably ALWAYS choose the one that says "I don't know I'm new". "Today's my first day", or "That's not my section" or "Maybe so and so knows". or "You're looking for what??? What's that?", or "I think we sold out but I'm not sure, let me check"...you get the idea!!! So the person asking for rooster eggs or "ewwwing" over the green and blue ones or "not eating anything that comes out of a chicken's butt" or "they call chicken's fowl for a reason" are always the ones I seem to attract in the stores!!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
My Tractor Supply experience was back when I was still a newbie buying hardware cloth for the first time. We paid for it & then waited about 20 minutes for an employee to figure out what it was. After 20 minutes passed, I started to get annoyed, and wanted to go look for it myself. I knew what it looked like, because I'd researched it online ahead of time, but they stored it out of the standard customer area. Anyway, they finally figured it out. 20 minutes wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that I have 2 young kids, 5 & 7, and it's very hard to bide one's time in a not terribly kid-friendly store. It also annoyed me that no one working that day had any clue what hardware cloth was. The next time I needed it, I went to Home Depot, where I found it myself easily.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom