Sooooo got my 2nd egg now for some ??

imneva

Songster
Apr 9, 2018
north central Wv
C6963DAA-E634-4F14-9305-DFA927E5047D.jpeg
here are my dumb questions . My 2 eggs are slightly different sizes and color. So #1 would they be from different chickens or could the same chicken lay them both. #2 they are laying them on the floor in a corner beside a nesting box I put down after the last egg was on the floor. Sooooo how do I get them to use 1 of the 6 boxes?

No dumb ?s there:
1 likely same bird, but could be different birds. The differences are not significant
2 not uncommon, adding some bait(wooden eggs, golf balls, etc) helps to show them where to lay....its new to them and nest boxes are really more about human convenience than bird need so it's not abnormal for them to lay elsewhere, especially when starting out. Do you have other nests youd like them to use ...asking as you said you put this box down after the first egg on the floor.....if you really want them laying elsewhere dont muck around with the added box, train for what you want

No dumb ?s there:
1 likely same bird, but could be different birds. The differences are not significant
2 not uncommon, adding some bait(wooden eggs, golf balls, etc) helps to show them where to lay....its new to them and nest boxes are really more about human convenience than bird need so it's not abnormal for them to lay elsewhere, especially when starting out. Do you have other nests youd like them to use ...asking as you said you put this box down after the first egg on the floor.....if you really want them laying elsewhere dont muck around with the added box, train for what you want
I have fake eggs in the nest boxes. As well as straw.

Are they used to seeing straw? I tried using artificial grass in my nest boxes, thinking it would be more comfortable for them. Turned out it freaked them out! Switched it out with pine shavings (What they're used to seeing), et voila. Also, any time I caught them checking out the nest boxes, I would say nice things to them. A few times early on, when I caught them in the coop making egg song noises, I gently shoved them into the nest boxes. I only had to do this for the first two. The other 3 are learning from watching the first 2. Mine also didn't like the fake eggs that were the wrong shade of brown. Turns out my girls are picky.

These eggs could've come from the same bird. Their laying can be erratic in the first month or so. I'm going to guess they came from your orpington or australorp. Since there aren't speckles, it's not likely the marans.

Have you seen any evidence of them visiting the nest boxes? Sometimes young birds don't realize that's what they're there for.
This^^^
Make sure nests are easily accessible...pics of your nests might help us spot something to improve usage.
Put something in that corner, such as a bucket, where they are laying to 'block' it.

Part of it is just new layers learning the ropes without older birds in residence to show them the way.

Color of fake eggs shouldn't matter......but maybe leave one nest empty, I had a pullet who didn't like the fake egg at first.

Have you seen any evidence of them visiting the nest boxes? Sometimes young birds don't realize that's what they're there for. I've been putting my new layers in the next boxes so they can explore them a bit.
Nope. I did try place my layer and new squatter in the boxes this afternoon. No eggs today

My hens have been laying for 4-6 weeks now and still are not consistent in shape and size. I am intentionally holding off until spring before I try to identify who is laying what exactly.

Two of my hens laid their first several eggs on the floor. One even made a nest each day. I feared and another poster confirmed that she had chosen that spot and may always lay there unless I fixed it. Because I was busy, I didn’t get to fix it before she started laying in the box (with golf balls) on her own. Your results might be different and I trust that the alternative is the norm, not what I got.

Back
Top Bottom