South Carolina

My turkeys do not fly much. They can get off the ground maybe 4 ft but they never fly if they do not have to. They will hop over a fence though because have seen youngsters flap to get over the poultry wire and into the grow up pen where there are more goodies.
Mine never get on the barn with the Guineas or in trees but I see youngsters on top of some of my pens.

My turkeys do not fly much. They can get off the ground maybe 4 ft but they never fly if they do not have to. They will hop over a fence though because have seen youngsters flap to get over the poultry wire and into the grow up pen where there are more goodies.
Mine never get on the barn with the Guineas or in trees but I see youngsters on top of some of my pens.

My Leghorns are always on top of the houses. And they are about 6ft off the ground.

Gorgeous bunch of birds!
love.gif

My Spangled Thai pair. They're getting so big! The rooster still has a pitiful crow.

Movable coop I built recently for them. It took a lot of work, but I am incredibly happy with the result, and the birds seem to like it too. They learned how to use the ramp within minutes of being in there. The chicken shape in the door is actually a window I cut out, with wire behind it.

Slightly dusty silkie hen.

And, of course, lots of turkeys. Thinking about killing a young tom for thanksgiving. We killed 11 birds last weekend, two roosters and nine older wyandotte hens who were not laying much anymore. They were all loaded with fat and actually cleaned out pretty decently for their age. We plucked the largest, youngest rooster and skinned the rest. They were easy to process, now a big ol' turkey may be a different story. It will certainly be an experience.

Back
Top Bottom