South Carolina

Quote:
So true! And we hope he doesn't notice new ones! We are on the hunt for something killing my babies. Got two of my lav silkies. Climbed the screened door and squeezed in the opening above it which was just a few inches. Tore off the heads. Ate one pretty good but left the body. I'm so upset! I thought they were safe. What would it be? Coon?

Nah, I've already told him so he knows to get busy building me another coop.
So sorry about your babies. It could be coons, weasles, mink or even skunks. Also big snakes will kill bantams even though they can't eat them so if you have cracks in the coop you might keep that in mind.

There was a few inch gap above the screened door. Whatever it was climbed up the screen. You can see a few rips. Must have crawled through that opening. Poor babies. You couldn't even tell the color of one of the silkies. I only know who it was because the numbered band was there.
hit.gif

Well, thanks to NellaBean, it looks like I'll be trying Speckled Sussex ONE MORE TIME! 3rd time is the charm, right? I'll be getting my 3rd batch of SS on Saturday! woo hoo!! If they don't work this time, no more SS for me!

I am so sorry, Susanne that you lost those beautiful Silkies!
I lost a errant rooster yesterday to something. He flew out of the temp roo pen into the back paddock and the Mulberry tree brings foxes and no doubt, hawks. He has totally disappeared. He wasn't a breeder but I still like to keep up with them.

With this heat the LGD is doing a lot less and I am finding she is sleeping through hawk crossings. Soon the hawks will realize this and be after my chicks. I HAVE to see about another dog! I think this time I will go with a short haired one since I am still trying to cut and comb the huge mess that Pyrs become after a winter out in the cold. She literally has a coat on! Most is off now but her legs and tummy are still in the works. She sure loved being hosed down today when I was filling pools.

Peacocks do not do well free ranging unless you have protection for them. They get nabbed by predators a lot. They like to sleep in the trees but owls can get at them. Others can tell you more. All I know is what I have researched and found out from owners.
Supposedly you have to keep them up off the ground for the first 6 months of their life. And males do not reproduce for the first 2 years. But again, I have never owned any.
idunno.gif

Look into getting an Anatolian. They have much less coat than GPs do. Or try clipping her. I know some people do that. At least clip the hair on her belly so she can cool herself down by laying in cool dirt. I had a GP die of a heat stroke once. They are really not the best LGDs for South Carolina. My Anatolina puppy is due to be born on June 8th so I'll have him a 10 weeks or so.

I think an Anatolian would be great to have! I have looked into them but just put off getting a pup I have to keep an eye on until they are 2 years old.
It was great to get Jolie when she was grown and knew her job but she just can't deal with the heat. She doesn't have nearly the hair on her tummy as she had on her back. It was unreal. I combed at it for days and finally decided she and I were both sick of it and got out the shears. Now she looks funny with hair on her legs, tail and hanging from her tummy. She hasn't any clumps or mats on her underside but the hair is still thick and I think she will be happy with a low cut. I don't want her to sunburn so I am keeping it long enough to help with that. Though the poor dog is like me, stays away from anything hot, like the sun!
tongue.gif

Is anyone else as miserable as I am in this heat?
th.gif

Hi, I live in Bluffton, SC so now you know you are not the only one. I have 12 chickens, 1 rooster and 11 hens. They are tollerating the heat just fine, due to the many treats and water supply. It nice to know their are other chicken lovers here in South Carolina.

Quote:
Nah, I've already told him so he knows to get busy building me another coop.
So sorry about your babies. It could be coons, weasles, mink or even skunks. Also big snakes will kill bantams even though they can't eat them so if you have cracks in the coop you might keep that in mind.

There was a few inch gap above the screened door. Whatever it was climbed up the screen. You can see a few rips. Must have crawled through that opening. Poor babies. You couldn't even tell the color of one of the silkies. I only know who it was because the numbered band was there.
hit.gif

Now you have me worried.......I always fear finding something like this. Were they loose in the pen or closed up? I lock mine up (solid wood sides) at night and close the door. I have to pick them all up every night since they have not figured out what the ramp is for. Nevertheless, with some determination, they are still reachable. Snakes are one of my biggest fears. I think It would be easy for them to get in.

Okay just a couple days left for the last 2 Easter Egger pullets! LOL I will be in South Carolina this Saturday. Should hit Columbia around 2ish. Then leaving from there to go up to Inman, SC. The speckled sussex are all spoken for, 2 Easter Egger girls were sold locally and are leaving tomorrow, leaving 2 Easter Egger pullets left. Will be 7 weeks old this weekend.

If anyone wants them, speak now!

Amy, I am leaving your place as the last stop on my trip before going back home. So we can yak all we want!

Quote:
That sounds about right.
smile.png
Peachicks are kind of fragile so it's easier to buy a one year old or older bird. They are prone to getting nabbed by owls at night if allowed to free range because they prefer to perch on the highest point around. Usually this is the barn or the house and that puts them right out in the open for predators. They moult in the fall, dropping all of those beautiful, long feathers and regrow brand new ones adding another foot to their train every year. My biggest one has about a 10' train right now and he is very beautiful. I've been told they can be kind of loud although I haven't really ever noticed that.
lol.png
They also like to perch on top of cars.

Back
Top Bottom