Southern Heat

A bit warm here, so I hang out by the dried up creek.

57171_img_0933.jpg

I am sorry for everyone's losses... We seem to have been cheated out of a Spring this year....or at least my power bill is reflecting that... I usually enjoy a nice dip in the bill from Winter before getting blasted by the late Summer AC bills.... I just got my bill over the weekend and it was one of the largest ever, and I just had new windows installed on the front of the house two months ago.... some savings
sad.png

They said on the news that we have already had 9 days over 100. Today was the 4th day in a row . It was 103 today. For the next 3 or 4 days it is 'posed to be 102 or higher. We have over night horse boarders coming this Saturday and next Saturday. Can not see putting my guys through the heat on the road. They are going to a horse camp., Hope they like the heat.

piecemaker

i have 2 broodies in the house, will probably stay in all summer- so - lets put heads together- ways to cool the flocks? ice in water, jug of ice in front of a fan, water down the runs- what else? i've heard of watering down burlap and hanging it in over the runs?

Oh yes...hotter than Hades although we had a reprieve today with rain.

Another thing ou can do is make them like a mini air conditioner....take empty 2 litre soda bottles and fill with water, freeze. Take one and put in a rubber trash can (any size will do, make it chicken size appropriate) lay the can on its side and put one of the frozen bottles in it and cover the opening about 3/4 of the way with a towel....just show one or two birds it is there and cooler inside, they will walk in on their own.

And you can refreeze the soda bottles....I have those all over for them lie against, shallow pans of water for them to stand in and their little makeshift air conditioners. When it is really miserable miserable, I turn on the sprinkler for them and have misters running.

I lost my 10 month old Splash Orp boy last July to the heat after moving to Kentucky....I learned the hard way.
sad.png

Im freezing some water bottles right now. Today in central Texas it was still 100 degrees at 8 o'clock tonight. I'm going to switch to a straight millet scratch because I read somewhere on here that corn raises there internal body, temp and I'm thinking about pulling out a wall in the coop and replacing it with hardwire cloth, yeah, that same wall I spent so much time filling all the cracks when we had single digits this winter.

Ive been leaving my square foot garden with a drip hose on all day as it is. Its just to early for this.

I had water on my tomatoes most of the day today. 110 in my back yard. I turned the AC on in the big coop from 2PM through 6PM... watered the run and the coop roof to cool it down.

Even the water in the swimming pool is warming up.

C'mon September.

Back
Top Bottom