Pics
Chicks are a bit harder but adults are very obvious. Often times hatchery birds are smaller than ones that are bred to the Standard
View attachment 1669474

View attachment 1669468 Hatchery Partridge Cochin

View attachment 1669470
A Partridge Cochin bred by M&M Exhibition Poultry

View attachment 1669471 View attachment 1669472 2 Examples of Hatchery Black cochins

View attachment 1669469 View attachment 1669473
2 of my Black Cochins, not perfect but you get the idea
Thanks for the info! I always wondered how somebody could look at one picture of my birds and tell that they were Hatchery. I love them no matter what, but I was curious.

I would have to trim back the head feathers of the polish in winter, because even though I would give fresh water 2x a day, the tips of the head feathers would get wet and then freeze,(note: I had to state the fresh water, so certain people will not jump up and down n'get bunched up.) polish would walk around with little frozen balls on the ends. (Note: I never trimmed much, so no one will get upset about how to trim feathers, sheeh it is like dealing with the Charles McGill of Better call Saul, the chicken world version.)

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah it really sucked cuz I walked in on the sucker dispatching my birds. So I'm gonna take some time to fix up the coop while these babes grow.

Oh wow that is awful! Sorry you had to see that :( I think that is a good idea though.

Mottled bantam Cochin rooster

View attachment 1669401

Beautiful bird!

He's beautiful! And I see what you mean about looking like he doesn't have legs:D. And I was thinking, as I looked at those pictures, the cochins really are pretty good size birds when you compare them to hens twice their age. I don't think I had ever compared them side-by-side like that. I appreciate your help!

Yeah, they can be huge! And Brahmas can be too. Those things are like dinosaurs lol

So, first order incudes:
Whiting true blue
Whiting true green
Salmon faverolle
Silver spangled hamburgs
White leghorn
Delaware
Buff orpington
...was supposed to be welsummers too, but there was a short hatch

Second order will have;
Appenzeller spitzhauben
Silver laced polish
"Sapphire gem olive eggers" (cute blues with small crests)
"Midnight majesty marans"('marans hybrid' offered by hoovers....interested to see what they produce in color and count)

These will all be split between my flock (9), my sister (10) and my daughter (5).
Let me guess...you ordered from Murray McMurray and Hoover's?

The week of April 8th, (My birthday!) I will be receiving 17 chicks in the mail!!! I ordered females, 2 each of Blue Andalusian, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Partridge Cochin, Silver Lace Wyandotte, Whiting True Blue, Whiting True Green and a bonus chick! My first chickens! Should be a colorful flock!
Oops! Forgot the White Orpington!

Last edited:
The week of April 8th, (My birthday!) I will be receiving 17 chicks in the mail!!! I ordered females, 2 each of Blue Andalusian, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Partridge Cochin, Silver Lace Wyandotte, Whiting True Blue, Whiting True Green and a bonus chick! My first chickens! Should be a colorful flock!

That is awesome!! It does sound like it will be a very colorful flock!! Did you order/pay for them yourself or is someone else buying them for your birthday? Nice present either way, whether it’s a present to yourself or an actual present. :D I think you will love having chickens!! They are so much fun and so entertaining!! And those are good breeds! And that is my mom’s birthday too :D

That is awesome!! It does sound like it will be a very colorful flock!! Did you order/pay for them yourself or is someone else buying them for your birthday? Nice present either way, whether it’s a present to yourself or an actual present. :D I think you will love having chickens!! They are so much fun and so entertaining!! And those are good breeds! And that is my mom’s birthday too :D
A present from my dog!

You know pictures are mandatory, right? :p :D

ARE THEY HATCHING YET! :drool

Four have hatched, with one more on the way! I think one of them may be half silkie, but she sure is cute!
And as requested, here are some photos :)

IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5352.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG
IMG_5474.JPG
IMG_5475.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5361.JPG
    IMG_5361.JPG
    583.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom